Wood dough bowl candles safety

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBell123

Reaction score
I'd like to make the popular and beautiful wood dough bowl candles but am concerned about safety. I have read some conflicting reports. I could coat the inside with fire resistant paint, but I also had another idea.

Would it work to put fire resistant foil tape (that is used for ductwork, electrical work and other construction applications for fire resistance)?

I'm thinking I could cut and place overlapping strips at the bottom of the candle, to protect the bowl from catching fire when the wick and wax are low.

Of course, I would also warn anyone I gave one to about the dangers of leaving candles unattended or burning them too low. It might make it easier to remove the last of the wax and reuse the bowl too, after it is done being used as a candle.

I cannot help much with candle making since I have not made candles for many moons when I was in my early twenties making sand candles!! But I will mention putting every caution and warning you can on your candle since most insurance, if you have crafters insurance will not insure candles. Insurance through the Soap Guild did cover candles but not all underwriters do as I mentioned—just food for thought.

Latest posts

Back