Vegan Hemp Lip Balm-Will this work?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sativa Skin Care

Reaction score
I am in the process of ordering supplies to make vegan hemp lip balm and am not sure what to get. Will these ingredients work or do I need more/different kinds of oils? I am having trouble understanding the difference between "Brittle at Room Temp" oils and Solid and Liquid at Room Temp Oils. Do I NEED a "brittle" oil or will the following ingredients be able to make a lip balm? Thank you so much for any help!!

-Liquid at room temperature oil: Hemp Seed Oil
-Solid at room temperature (fixed) oil: Hemp Butter (http://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Hemp-Butter.html)
-Brittle at room temperature oil:?????
-Solid Wax: Candelilla
-Flavor Oil

Brittle at room temp oils are those that are very hard, like cocoa butter. They are so hard you almost need a hammer and chisel to break them apart.

Solid at room temp oils are solid, too, but they are much softer than the brittle oils. You don't need to take a hammer and chisel to them. They are much softer and easily scoopable with a spoon.

Actually, you don't necessarily need a brittle butter to make a good, hard lip balm. The MMS guideline I posted in your other thread yesterday is just a general guidline to work off of, but I've found you can easily do without a brittle butter (or soft butter for that matter) as long as you add enough wax to your formula to firm things up. I made a formula last week with all 'liquid at room temp' oils along with enough beeswax, and it came out wonderfully nice and firm.

Your formula looks great to me 'as is' and I'm 100% confident it will be perfectly fine without the addition of a brittle butter. Just use enough candelilla wax along with your hemp oil/butter and flavor, and you'll be good to go. :) The trick is finding the right % of candelilla. To me, 12% candelilla sounds like it would be a good place to start. This is based on the batch I made last week with the all room temp oils- I used 24% beeswax in that batch and it came out plenty firm, so I'm betting that 12% candelilla will do the trick.

HTH!
IrishLass :)

If you use a wax, you do not need brittle.

You will just have to play w/ the hemp oil, hemp butter & wax of your choice untill it is the texture you are wanting. Too soft add more wax, too hard, add more oil.

Yay! Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it! I'm ordering stuff today. :) I can't wait to experiment. Thanks again for helping me while I learn!

Back