Using Sour Milk in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was out voted and forbidden from keeping it lol.
Keep in mind, every failure is a learning experience. Had you taken the vote here, be aware that many members take pride in helping Newbies to save a failed batch. For example, Here's a very simple way of testing the Salting Out process...

Grate up about 8 ounces of cured soap or soap slivers you have on hand. Add water to a stainless steel sauce pan at least half way. Add a cuddle of salt (dump salt into a cupped palm -- no need to measure). Bring the water to boil. Add the the gratings. Fairly soon, (about 15 minutes) you will see soap curds rising to the surface. Scoop them up with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel. Once you've gathered all the curds, allow to cool. Then, with gloved hands, squeeze as much water out as you can while shaping into a ball. Drop the ball into a clean piece of a pantyhose (or similar). I then knot the top and hang it from a banana holder or ceiling hook for plants. I squeeze and shape daily until no more water comes out then set it aside to dry with my other curing soaps.

You end up with a 5 oz or so ball of the purest soap ever. The dark brown water at the bottom of the pot contains glycerin as well as residue from any other nasties the original soap contained. FUN!!!

Keep in mind, every failure is a learning experience. Had you taken the vote here, be aware that many members take pride in helping Newbies to save a failed batch. For example, Here's a very simple way of testing the Salting Out process...

Grate up about 8 ounces of cured soap or soap slivers you have on hand. Add water to a stainless steel sauce pan at least half way. Add a cuddle of salt (dump salt into a cupped palm -- no need to measure). Bring the water to boil. Add the the gratings. Fairly soon, (about 15 minutes) you will see soap curds rising to the surface. Scoop them up with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel. Once you've gathered all the curds, allow to cool. Then, with gloved hands, squeeze as much water out as you can while shaping into a ball. Drop the ball into a clean piece of a pantyhose (or similar). I then knot the top and hang it from a banana holder or ceiling hook for plants. I squeeze and shape daily until no more water comes out then set it aside to dry with my other curing soaps.

You end up with a 5 oz or so ball of the purest soap ever. The dark brown water at the bottom of the pot contains glycerin as well as residue from any other nasties the original soap contained. FUN!!!
That does sound like a fun experiment, and youre right. I should post here first. I tried to make lue water with heavy cream the other day and it made huge soap curds much like you just described. I didnt know how to get the extra lye out, so I tossed it all. I'll have to try the salting out method. 5lbs is a lot to toss out without fully experimenting with first. Thanks for staying on me.

Back