Tornado almost got me!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Thursday at 3:28 in the afternoon June 22 a tornado touched down just south of CO-470 in Douglas County, west of Lucent Blvd, impacting the city of Highlands Ranch. The tornado looks to have lifted just west of the intersection of Lincoln Ave and Lone Tree Parkway.

My house is 1 block north and east of Lincoln and the Parkway! I looked out at 3:30 PM to see an almost black sky. I did a blessing over me and my house to keep us safe and told the weather to bypass us.

Here’s a map (scroll down) of the track of the tornado that started 6 miles away. The point where it lifted (right edge of the map) was close! My house is in that picture. We got rain, strong winds and marble-sized hail that went on for 20 minutes or so. Scary. Our neighbors in Highlands Ranch did not fare so well. Thankfully, no one died but the damage is extensive, especially large mature trees uprooted from the ground like dandelions.

Thursday at 3:28 in the afternoon June 22 a tornado touched down just south of CO-470 in Douglas County, west of Lucent Blvd, impacting the city of Highlands Ranch. The tornado looks to have lifted just west of the intersection of Lincoln Ave and Lone Tree Parkway.

My house is 1 block north and east of Lincoln and the Parkway! I looked out at 3:30 PM to see an almost black sky. I did a blessing over me and my house to keep us safe and told the weather to bypass us.

Here’s a map (scroll down) of the track of the tornado that started 6 miles away. The point where it lifted (right edge of the map) was close! My house is in that picture. We got rain, strong winds and marble-sized hail that went on for 20 minutes or so. Scary. Our neighbors in Highlands Ranch did not fare so well. Thankfully, no one died but the damage is extensive, especially large mature trees uprooted from the ground like dandelions.
Woah. Thankfully you did not have the tornado visit your house! Relieved that your blessing request was answered.

Honestly? I don't know what that tornado was doing in our neck of the woods. It's unheard of in southeast Denver. "Tornado Alley" is northeast of the city, out in the plains. This isn't Kansas, ya know? Just weird weather happening everywhere, it seems.

praying for your community.
Thank you. It's a strong community. As soon as it was over, guys were out with their chain saws cutting up downed trees and loading them up to take to a couple of designated areas for disposal. We have a Forum called "NextDoor" -- neighbors helping neighbors. Anyone in need can post there. What's weird is one house would have a huge tree uprooted in the front yard, shingles missing from the roof and then right next door to them the property was untouched.

Thank you. It's a strong community. As soon as it was over, guys were out with their chain saws cutting up downed trees and loading them up to take to a couple of designated areas for disposal. We have a Forum called "NextDoor" -- neighbors helping neighbors. Anyone in need can post there. What's weird is one house would have a huge tree uprooted in the front yard, shingles missing from the roof and then right next door to them the property was untouched.
That's pretty normal for a tornado. They can also destroy one house and leave all the houses around it totally untouched. I grew up at the end of tornado alley in Alberta Canada. Tornadoes still happened but they were fairly rare. Last year (I think it was last year) there were 5. To tell the truth, I'm much more scared of hurricanes. Tornadoes are there and gone quick. Hurricanes can linger for days and destroy entire cities. Did you hear the sound of the tornado? I find the sound to be much scarier than the storm itself. It's like a freight train passing feet from your face.

I'm just glad you're ok.

It must be terrifying, from close or further away...
It is lovely to see how people help each other when hard times come.
Take care :)

Latest posts

Back