Soap Planer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it worth it to purchase a soap planer if I am a hobbyist? Should I just continue to use the flat side of a knife or soap cutter?

I make between 10 and 40 3-pound batches of soap a year. If I look into a soap planer, what would you recommend?

In my opinion, yes. But I think it depends on what you want your planer to accomplish. I like the smooth surfaces and the option to plane off ash, which I almost never can find it within me to embrace like others are able to do. What to recommend would also depend - on how much you are able/willing to spend.

I like a smooth, finished surface that shows I put time and care into the finished soap. So I guess I need a soap planer!

Which planer depends less on what I’m willing to spend than getting the right one the first time. There’s nothing as expensive as having to purchase two or three or more of an item to find the one that works best for you! 😜

I have one like this which I use. The two lines are used if you want to do a simple bevel on the edge. They're about $13 at Amazon.

1630816692106.png

I bought this one because it only removes a very thin layer of soap. At times they stop making them, but i just checked and it looks like they are back in business. It is expensive IMO, but I haven’t regretted buying it.
I didn’t know how much I like smooth soaps until I planed them. The day I got it, I planed every soap I had at hand, it was addicting.

I bought this one because it only removes a very thin layer of soap. At times they stop making them, but i just checked and it looks like they are back in business. It is expensive IMO, but I haven’t regretted buying it.
I didn’t know how much I like smooth soaps until I planed them. The day I got it, I planed every soap I had at hand, it was addicting.
That's the one I have as well I love it so much ❤

Which planer depends less on what I’m willing to spend than getting the right one the first time. There’s nothing as expensive as having to purchase two or three or more of an item to find the one that works best for you! 😜

I bought mine from Be Scented and am quite happy with it.

I have one like this which I use. The two lines are used if you want to do a simple bevel on the edge. They're about $13 at Amazon.

View attachment 60606
I ended up going with this one for now. At $13 with the shipping, I can’t really go wrong. It should arrive tomorrow and I have about 50 soaps to prep. I also now have a high-end planer on my wish list for Christmas, birthday, or Mother’s Day. Thank you for your wonderful advice!

I ended up going with this one for now. At $13 with the shipping, I can’t really go wrong. It should arrive tomorrow and I have about 50 soaps to prep. I also now have a high-end planer on my wish list for Christmas, birthday, or Mother’s Day. Thank you for your wonderful advice!

You are most welcome. I'm glad to finally be on the other side of the enablement. :nodding:

Looks great - what is the purpose of the bit of wood that sticks up to the right on it?

Back