Soap fail

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Same recipe I've used for 10 years, the only difference was the fragrance oil. Linden Lime Blossom from Nurture. Temps were at 105°F. The fragrance was blended into the oils before adding lye. The leaking pockets seem to be the fragrance oil which just seems odd. I didn't put it through gel phase and it was sitting in the mold for 2 days before I cut it.

30.8 % olive oil
25.5% coconut oil
13.2% palm oil
7.3% palm kernel flakes
10.2% avocado oil
2.9% almond oil
2.9% castor oil
3.6% shea butter
3.6 % cocoa butter

33% lye concentration
26oz of goat milk

I've actually never had this happen so it caught me off guard. I poured two molds and the other one doesn't have these same gaping holes of leaking oil but it's still weeping oil in the middle.

Attachments

• 20200212_120042.jpg
    20200212_120042.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 53
Reading the notes on that FO, it is prone to separation. How thick was it when you poured?
If it was thinner, it might has just separated due to being a naughty FO. Overheating can cause it too but I don't see anything that looks like a partial gel.
You'll have to rebatch this one.

Reading the notes on that FO, it is prone to separation. How thick was it when you poured?
If it was thinner, it might has just separated due to being a naughty FO. Overheating can cause it too but I don't see anything that looks like a partial gel.
You'll have to rebatch this one.
It was a medium trace when I poured it. I hate rebatching. Oh well. Win some lose some.

Awww sorry this happened @CatahoulaBubble - it sucks when things go wrong. But hey - as you say - gotta take the bad with the good. Think of all the successful batches you've made!
True, at least the other loaf I poured turned out fine. I may just chop this one up for confetti soap at a later date. It's fully saponified and as confetti it won't need fragrance.

Back