RAD Soap Company

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
can anyone figure out what the special process this soap maker is using “that no one has duplicated”?Saw these soaps in whole foods today. The ingredients list sodium hydroxide and other oils. It’s not a melt and pour. Just curious.

Attachments

• IMG_7799.jpeg
    IMG_7799.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Sounds like they might be making their own m&p soap base and then using it like any other m&p base. But, there are all sorts of instructions out there for how to do that, so... I don't know about it being proprietary. But, they cover themselves with "to their knowledge."

Last edited:
It reads like malarky to me! LOL They should hire a copy writer to give their copy a professional treatment, i.e., "your" instead of "you're" and "u.s.of a." should be all caps -- IF used at all. tsk tsk.

they might be making their own m&p soap base
Yes. Or, more likely, using soap noodles that are already saponified? Hence, "no lye".

"suspending soap in a glycerin state" -- melt the noodles (glycerin naturally occurs in the soap) and add the botanicals & essential oils, along with some hemp oil -- just as one would in making HP from scratch. Ready to ship "fresh" in 24 hours. Big deal! Haha. Proprietary? Nah. More like Busted!

The lesson here is this is a fine example of marketing soap on a budget -- no lye. (Pun intended!)

Last edited:
It reads like malarky to me! LOL They should hire a copy writer to give their copy a professional treatment, i.e., "your" instead of "you're" and "u.s.of a." should be all caps -- IF used at all. tsk tsk.

Yes. Or, more likely, using soap noodles that are already saponified? Hence, "no lye".

"suspending soap in a glycerin state" -- melt the noodles (glycerin naturally occurs in the soap) and add the botanicals & essential oils, along with some hemp oil -- just as one would in making HP from scratch. Ready to ship "fresh" in 24 hours. Big deal! Haha. Proprietary? Nah. More like Busted!

The lesson here is this is a fine example of marketing soap on a budget -- no lye. (Pun intended!)
Malarkey is exactly what I was thinking. 😂

Oh good, the typos bugged me, too! And “soap is fresh” and “made in as little as 24 hours?? Over here rolling my eyes….. and feeling compelled to go see said soap at WFs…..

can anyone figure out what the special process this soap maker is using “that no one has duplicated”?Saw these soaps in whole foods today. The ingredients list sodium hydroxide and other oils. It’s not a melt and pour. Just curious.
Ever sat in a courtroom or watch on television when they swear in a witness on the stand? “Do you swear (affirm) that the testimony you are about to give in this arbitration is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?” We ALL have own own way of doing things, our own processes and whatnot, so it would not really be a lie to to say that we have: "a unique and top secret proprietary process". As for the: "The process includes suspending the soap in a glycerin state with botanicals and essential oils never being exposed to caustic sodas/lye therefore never altering the delicate state of those natural ingredients."...that's just marketing male bovine excrement. All they are doing is heating up a pre-made base until it is liquid and then adding stuff to it. And given how Hot Process works AND/OR they are using a pre-made base, it's not a lie to say that plants and oils are exposed to Lye.

And under the "We like it hot"...it's not a twist, once the saponification process is complete, the soap is perfectly safe to use...it won't be good soap because good soap needs to be properly cured, but it is safe to use. So again, they are just using marketing male bovine excrement to make it sound like their soap is something special.

Ever sat in a courtroom or watch on television when they swear in a witness on the stand? “Do you swear (affirm) that the testimony you are about to give in this arbitration is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?” We ALL have own own way of doing things, our own processes and whatnot, so it would not really be a lie to to say that we have: "a unique and top secret proprietary process". As for the: "The process includes suspending the soap in a glycerin state with botanicals and essential oils never being exposed to caustic sodas/lye therefore never altering the delicate state of those natural ingredients."...that's just marketing male bovine excrement. All they are doing is heating up a pre-made base until it is liquid and then adding stuff to it. And given how Hot Process works AND/OR they are using a pre-made base, it's not a lie to say that plants and oils are exposed to Lye.

And under the "We like it hot"...it's not a twist, once the saponification process is complete, the soap is perfectly safe to use...it won't be good soap because good soap needs to be properly cured, but it is safe to use. So again, they are just using marketing male bovine excrement to make it sound like their soap is something special.
My thoughts exactly. But apparently it’s working for them. Meanwhile I struggle to do it right. 🙄

Sounds like they are selling soap from a M&P base.
When you read the ingredients on the label though it lists sodium hydroxide and oils like we would list on any of our HP or CP soap’s. And they basically say they’re doing hot process but with that “twist”. That’s the sketchy part imo

When you read the ingredients on the label though it lists sodium hydroxide and oils like we would list on any of our HP or CP soap’s. And they basically say they’re doing hot process but with that “twist”. That’s the sketchy part imo

Ya, but that twist could be just about anything from a different liquid than most people use, to adding additives at a different part of the process, to making their own MP from scratch. Or maybe they just dance while they're stirring.

Last edited:
Ya, but that twist could be just about anything from a different liquid than most people use, to adding additives at a different part of the process, to making their own MP from scratch. Or maybe they just dance while their stirring.
I like the dancing idea 😂 I forgot to mention…the cigar band style labels were falling off the soaps they were so loose. So they had lost water and shrunk. The soaps are just a basic hot process soap and this maker is being deceitful in my opinion and sells them without curing

I like the dancing idea 😂 I forgot to mention…the cigar band style labels were falling off the soaps they were so loose. So they had lost water and shrunk. The soaps are just a basic hot process soap and this maker is being deceitful in my opinion and sells them without curing
Exactly! “Fresh soap” means they haven’t let it cure. Tsktsk

Yes, they list the ingredients as you would for any soap whether it is made from scratch or from a base. And if they are doing it correctly, it would appear that their base is being made with a 50% Lye Concentration, but that could be part of their "top secret proprietary process" or even their "twist".

Again, it's all about marketing...it would be like me marketing my Regular Soap as Vegan, and Glutton Free...and Sugar Free and Caffeine Free. Totally, 100% truthful. And it would also be completely truthful for me to claim "top secret proprietary process" and a "twist" with my recipe and process as I don't always follow convention...I have my own way of doing things. In fact, we all have our own way of making the products we do and we have all added our own little tweaks so we all could make the same claims.

Yes...it's basic HP or rather, it's Rebatch. As for the bands being loose...whether you are wrapping freshly made soap or waiting four to six weeks...soap continues to lose water over its lifetime so yes, said bands are going to get loose. And that will happen with shrink wrap, tissue paper or any other paper...it's just the nature of the beast.

And as for be 'deceitful', where exactly is the deceit? Does you label say what process you use to make soap? If it doesn't...does that make YOU deceitful? Is how long your cure you soap on your label? How would you feel if I don't folks that you were being 'deceitful' because you didn't cure your soap as long I do or because you don't make soap the way I do? Yes of course soap is better after it has had time to cure, but it is NOT a requirement.

Yes, they list the ingredients as you would for any soap whether it is made from scratch or from a base. And if they are doing it correctly, it would appear that their base is being made with a 50% Lye Concentration, but that could be part of their "top secret proprietary process" or even their "twist".

Again, it's all about marketing...it would be like me marketing my Regular Soap as Vegan, and Glutton Free...and Sugar Free and Caffeine Free. Totally, 100% truthful. And it would also be completely truthful for me to claim "top secret proprietary process" and a "twist" with my recipe and process as I don't always follow convention...I have my own way of doing things. In fact, we all have our own way of making the products we do and we have all added our own little tweaks so we all could make the same claims.

Yes...it's basic HP or rather, it's Rebatch. As for the bands being loose...whether you are wrapping freshly made soap or waiting four to six weeks...soap continues to lose water over its lifetime so yes, said bands are going to get loose. And that will happen with shrink wrap, tissue paper or any other paper...it's just the nature of the beast.

And as for be 'deceitful', where exactly is the deceit? Does you label say what process you use to make soap? If it doesn't...does that make YOU deceitful? Is how long your cure you soap on your label? How would you feel if I don't folks that you were being 'deceitful' because you didn't cure your soap as long I do or because you don't make soap the way I do? Yes of course soap is better after it has had time to cure, but it is NOT a requirement.
Their description on the website makes one believe their soaps are better because of this process (fresher). And in my opinion it is just the opposite. There was definitely water needing to evaporate because of the very loose labels on the soaps on the shelf. I wonder if the avaerage consumer reading her about her process would think that my soaps are old and stale because I let them sit around for 6 weeks before I sell them. 😂 Maybe deceit wasn’t the right word. We all know no matter what we do, we can’t speed up the curing process…at least that’s what I have learned. But apparently this person has found a way. 😁 I guess I need to get more “creative “ with my marketing. 😁

Last edited:
Their description on the website makes one believe their soaps are better because of this process (fresher). And in my opinion it is just the opposite. There was definitely water needing to evaporate because of the very loose labels on the soaps on the shelf. I wonder if the avaerage consumer reading her about her process would think that my soaps are old and stale because I let them sit around for 6 weeks before I sell them. 😂 Maybe deceit wasn’t the right word. We all know no matter what we do, we can’t speed up the curing process…at least that’s what I have learned. But apparently this person has found a way. 😁 I guess I need to get more “creative “ with my marketing. 😁
Go back to before you got into soap making. Two of my favorite soaps were Dove and Camay. I just thought I had "dry" skin and spent a small fortune over the years on moisturizers and lotions.

When you think about it...the majority of commercial soap consumers will not notice any difference between RAD soap and the soap they buy in the stores because commercial soap isn't cured either. In fact, it takes less than 24 hours to go from tanker car to bar on the shelf because of the automation process.

But I don't speak negatively of folks like this...I simply point out that the soap is perfectly safe to use once the saponification is complete, though perhaps it won't be as long a lasting bar of soap or won't be as gentle on the skin since it hasn't had time to cure...but it will get you clean.

Or educate your consumers. One of my marketing positions is my lengthy cure time.
But do so in a positive manner. Not every soap HAS to cure xx amount of weeks to be a good soap. A lot depends on a soap maker's recipe...what oils/butters, what additives, what they lye concentration is, where they live. My average cure time is six weeks, but I often go to eight before selling. During the winter time, my cure time is as much as twelve weeks because of the amount of rain we get and I cure in my garage.

I am sooooo going to use this. I am still giggling.
Most websites have filters so you can't spell out certain words (not just curse words either) and this was my way of getting around it.

Latest posts

Back