New from Oklahoma

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks! I've been making my own honey and oil extractions for a few years now and have recently started CP soaping. I've learned the hard way that Castor Oil isn't intended to be used at 22%, lol. I've also learned the differences between freezing goat milk and using it a fridge temp for lye solution - fascinating results on both sides. I'm here because my Google research often leads me to this forum. I've recently launched a seller account on Etsy for distant friends and family who have been asking me to do so for a while now. It's not fancy, I just use it as a space for special concoctions my people ask me to make for them. Anyway, thank you for existing! This forum is a priceless resource, and I am very grateful to be a supporting member.

Welcome.gif

I've learned the hard way that Castor Oil isn't intended to be used at 22%, lol.
Smack Laugh.gif
TIP: 5% is the recommended amount for most CP formulas. It's a good thing. :thumbs:
I've also learned the differences between freezing goat milk and using it a fridge temp for lye solution - fascinating results on both sides.
:thumbs: :thumbs:
special concoctions
Hmm. 🤔 Very interesting. Do tell more when you have time. Inquiring minds want to know. Please?

ADVICE TO NEWBIES

A fun read for when you have time.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ou-give-to-your-beginning-soaping-self.62916/
HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:

OMG you have questions! :D

Ok, so obviously special concoctions aren't soap at this point because I'm just now learning soap. In the past, special concoctions would mean honey infusions that result in medicinal teas. For instance, a friend of mine (older gentleman from work in his mid 60's), had some serious breathing issues from years of chain smoking and was finally getting treatment. His treatments were designed to make him worse before he could get better, so he asked me to make him a tea for short-term relief. I made him a "special concoction" of elderflower, marshmallow root, lemongrass, chamomile, and hawthorn berries infused in raw unfiltered honey for a few weeks and then simmered into a gallon of water for about 20mins and filtered out to make a tea. It works wonders, but only fixes you up for that day and only keeps well in the fridge for 4 or 5 days (I would still drink it on day 7, but I don't tell me friends that). I made another honey infusion for tea for a friend with PCOS who asked for something to help have regular periods. Then, I have a favorite tea I call Immunity Tea that I make for my immuno-deficient self when I don't feel well. It helps ease body pains, calms anxiety, and gives a boost to the ol' immune system.

Recently, I concocted a beard oil for a friend who wanted to gift it to her husband for their anniversary. That one is on my Etsy and is made out of a blend of grapeseed, safflower, castor, and argan oils with a rosehip infusion and patchouli for scent. I made a bottle for my hubbie (the cute guy in my avatar pic ;)) with birch, sweet orange, and peppermint for scent. He loves it so much and it makes his beard so soft.

The day before yesterday, a girl in my office asked me to make her something for her 2-day old sunburn that was blistering. I told her it's probably too late but that I would try. I mixed up a lotion of raw shea butter, grapeseed oil, calendula infused sunflower & avocado oil, passionflower infused sunflower & avocado oil, chamomile infused coconut oil, valerian root infused coconut & olive oil, lavender infused coconut & olive oil, and just a touch of fragrance to keep the valerian smell from punching her in the face. She said within 5mins of putting it on she regained range of motion in her arms and was able to get her clothes on and off without pain. Yesterday the redness was down on a very noticeable level. Today, her blisters have dissipated, and the skin has re-attached to her shoulders. That one really surprised me and I'm so happy I was able to help her. I might put that one on Etsy, I haven't decided yet.

WOW! That all is so delightful to read. You really know your stuff! I'm looking forward to hearing more from you

Latest posts

Back