NDA Metal Bottles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought several bottles of essential oils from NDA a while back. While searching their site for something recently, I read that they recommend transferring the essential oils and Fragrance oils into glass bottles instead of leaving them in the metal bottles. Does anyone do this. For those that haven’t, did the oils do OK in the metal bottles? Something else to worry about! 😬

I bought several bottles of essential oils from NDA a while back. While searching their site for something recently, I read that they recommend transferring the essential oils and Fragrance oils into glass bottles instead of leaving them in the metal bottles. Does anyone do this. For those that haven’t, did the oils do OK in the metal bottles? Something else to worry about! 😬

I always transfer mine into glass bottles from other essential oils which I've used up, or other empty glass containers which I have on hand.

My thoughts on this are: most companies don't mention anything about potential toxins leaching into raw materials from these metal bottles, or from plastic containers either, which I very strongly feel they should. NDA does, and I don't believe they would be wasting their time on this if it wasn't an issue they were concerned about. They do, after all, handle very large amounts of essential oils in their line of business, and I am sure have seen / experienced at least *something* in their line of work which has prompted them to state this to their customers.

Metals & plastics do degrade, as we already know, whereas glassware can last for centuries. Ever seen an old car which has been subjected to nothing but snow, sun & rain completely rot away? Or plastics breaking down in the environment?

Essential oils are very strong solvents which break many materials down in a short amount of time, especially plastics. Those metal bottles are lined with plastics which are not free of toxins, much like canned food cans, and which break down & contaminate whatever product is in the bottle. We breathe the scent of essential oils in, which mean their molecules get into our lungs, and then into our bloodstream, carrying any toxins with them throughout our bodies.

I don't want toxins leaching into my essential oils, liquid oils & so on. So I do my best to transfer everything possible to glass.

I had several EOs from NDA in metal bottles and noticed that while the scent remained the same, the plastic liner thingies in the tops of the bottles and the plastic caps would get ‘gunky’ and start degrading, especially with citrus oils. So I now decant into glass bottles just to be on the safe side.

I am sure that suppliers have the EOs stored in aluminum before packaging in glass bottles too. So even the EOs you buy that are in glass when they are shipp to you have spent some amount of time in a metal drum.
Most definitely. I guess NDA is packaging them in aluminum for shipping purposes. I kind of like the way the bottles look. But looks aren’t everything lol. I do have a few Amber bottles I could transfer some into but not enough. I really don’t wanna spend any more money buying more either. Still toiling over what to do. The only other company that I recently ordered from that ships in big aluminum bottles is Stock fragrance and their fragrance oils are very very expensive. The one I bought is amazing though and you get a beautiful scent using 3-3.5% so in the long run at least for this particular fragrance the price isn’t too bad. (Sorry for the tangent, lol)
I have to check their site again, but I don’t remember seeing anything mentioned about transferring to glass

The only other company that I recently ordered from that ships in big aluminum bottles is Stock fragrance and their fragrance oils are very very expensive.

BEST SAMPLE SET EVER!

Smelling Samples $10 - Approximately 55 fragrances for you to try and experience. Receive your individually wrapped, pre-scented paper blotters to get a sense of olfactive profile and character. Order the oils you like! We offer 1 oz trial sizes of all oils and can customize any oil in our collection

Last edited:
Oooooh! Well, no wonder I didn’t know that! I order by the mL. 😂

One company which does ship in glass / amber bottles, even in the large amounts I buy, is Voyageur Soap & Candle. I love them for it. Saves me the hassle of transferring essential oils over to glass bottles, and when they're empty, I use them for the essential oils which other companies ship to me in aluminum. It's also something you can request of other companies, although there's no guarantee they will do so.

Whether lined with plastic or epoxy, the toxins from either can still be broken down by essential oils, so I will continue to do what I do. The fact that essential oils are in drums etc before I buy them is another reason to get them into glass bottles ASAP.

This is also one of the reasons I choose not to use any plastics in my product packaging, or to buy other people's products which contain oils of any type in plastic packaging, including cooking oils. Even carrier oils break plastics down, as do things like olive oil used in cooking, as do fragrance oils. Combined in a product, and then having that product packaged in plastic on top of it, makes no sense when it comes to our health. It's bad enough that many of my raw materials are shipped in plastic jugs, so anything I can do to lessen these potential health risks, I will do.

If your oil-filled plastic bottles are bowed & distorted, they are breaking down & should be gotten rid of.

Latest posts

Back