Natural colours for my soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadgroovy

Reaction score
Hi guys
I don't post that often, but I log in and read recent posts pretty regularly. Always something new to learn! (loving the new soap calculator thread!)
Anyway, I've been experimenting with natural colouring for my soap. I have infused paprika and turmeric in oil. Left infusing for about 3 days. Made 2 small batches this weekend using the oil and up to now I'm pleased with the results.
In the pic the first one is my normal uncoloured soap, the middle one is the turmeric and the end one is the paprika. It will be interesting to see how the colours change as they cure.
I have just dried and ground a bunch of parsley and ground it to a fine powder and is now infusing in hot oil. It was interesting to notice that the ground powder looked quite pale, but once heated in the oil it is now a lovely dark green. I'll make another small batch with that next week. I'll keep you posted.
How many other people are using natural/plant colourings for their soaps?
What were your experiences?
20181028_175956.jpg

Those are lovely!

I've used all three natural colorants you mentioned and generally have been happy with them. Love their earthy tones. Another to try is beta carotene (from vitamin capsules or your own carrot puree, added directly to your batter) -- it gives a gold to orange color depending on how much you use and the base color of your oils and fragrances. It might photo-degrade a little (fade when left in light), but I've actually had really good long term results in several batches.

Thank you Carabou!
Carrot puree is interesting, but is there a chance it'll go rancid?
I forgot to say that I fragranced them with ylang ylang and sweet orange eo in the turmeric one and ylang ylang and cederwood in the paprika one. First time using yy and they both smell gorgeous!

Pretty colors! I have used baby food carrots and pureed cucumber in my soap. The cucumber is a lovely pale green at first, but fades over time. I use colored clays and they give a nice muted color.

Your soap looks great. I only use natural colour. Not many of them stick. But those two you used generally do although they fade a little for me. How much turmeric and paprika did you use?

If you use too much you might feel the burn/ tingle on your skin - especially on sensitive skin.

Use carrot purée instead of part of the water. I find it’s best to use it as soon as you make it for darkest colour. Have a really dry purée. It won’t go rancid. Try pumpkin too. And tomatoe sticks pretty well.

Thanks ISG
@penelopejane I used about 2 tbls to 170g of olive oil (37% of my recipe)
I strained the oil from the paprika/turmeric powder so just drawing out the colour. Could this still be felt on sensitive skin?
Try it and see. I think so but everyone’s skin is different and the turmeric and paprika’s are all different strengths too. It’s less likely since you strained the powder out. It’s all about testing with natural colours and your recipe and your skin and the type of colour. With clays every new batch of clay seems to be different as well as differences between suppliers.

Back