My first soap efforts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkm8113

Reaction score
Please critique away, these are my first batches of soap. Please critique away.

My very first batch, Lemongrass Dill and my mold for the rectangular ones was a gift box that wine came in. I did not know how much soap would shrink and I cut the pieces in half--wish I had left them alone now, but they would not have fit in the soap dish of our shower when they first came out of the mold.

_JWM0104.jpg

Lavender Oatmeal is the next batch and I learned after making the soap, not to put the oatmeal in until the soap reached trace.

_JWM0108.jpg

Lavender Bastile--molds were plastic food containers, so the shapes are nothing fancy, but I just wanted to try a creamy soap. I put twice as much lavender as I should, but the smell is not overpowering.

_JWM0088.jpg

Cinnamon Clove, made in a tube mold, and I had one heck of a time getting it out--probably should have left it in the mold another day, but I am learning I don't have much patience when it comes to waiting to see what the soaps are going to look like. I think maybe I can clean the edges up a bit when they get a little harder, just too soft right now.

_JWM0118.jpg

Cinnamon Clove-my biggest disappointment, same recipe as the soap in the above pic and it should have been the same color as the soap above, but I had read somewhere to cool oil and lye to 130 deg and then mix, so I gave it a try. I didn't know enough to know that cinnamon and cloves would heat the soap even more. When I poured it into the mold, it separated, so I dumped it back in the pot and stickblended some more. Poured it back into the tray mold again and it was as dark as could be and didn't smell very nice. I finally cut it today and it looks like a chocolate flourless cake. Smell isn't too bad, so I will see what happens after it cures a while. Could have been worse, but it sure isn't the pretty Cinnamon Clove that I was hoping to give for Christmas gifts It is probably going into my own linen closet for us to use.

-1.jpg

So, it seems I have learned something with each batch I have made.

Any and all comments and suggestions on how I can improve are welcome and appreciated.

I think they all look great especially the one which looks like Mickey Mouse. :lol:

It sounds like you learned by doing the batches. The only thing I can think of is next time you use the tube mold you can either use freezer paper to line it or coat it with mineral oil. Either should make it easier to remove the soap.

The mold actually came with a liner and an end cap, but I still had a heck of a time getting it out. I was able to get the tube off, but then the soap and liner were stuck to the end cap. I have read that it might be a good idea to use vaseline on the end cap.

Congrats on your first efforts. I say if it lathers it is usable. Long time until Christmas. Try another recipe. Learn what doesn't work and pass it on. Learn what does work and pass that on also. That's what this forum is all about.

They look terrific! I wish my early batches looked half as good. Beautiful natural earthy look to all of them!

They all look great especially for your first soaps...you should have seen my first batch :crazy: I've been looking for a tube mold where did you get yours?

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions. I think my biggest problem is lack of patience. I want to pour, wait 24 hours and at the stroke of 24 hours, I am ready to unmold, and I am learning it doesn't always work that way.

The tube mold came from Bramble Berry.

soapcakes said:
Gorgeous first batches, bravo!

I'm not sure if your round mold is oven-safe, but this blog post on how to remove soap from PVC pipe might be helpful too: http://jennifersoap.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/removing-soap-from-pvc/

Thanks for directing me to this site. I can't wait to check it out further. I love her soaps, at least what I have seen in the first few posts, particularly that black and cream that she did.

Genny said:
Those are some beautiful soaps :)

Thank you, I appreciate the encouragement, and I know I have a long way to go to get some of the beautiful results I have seen on this site and on youtube.

All of my soaps were handled a lot, and I am wondering how you guys clean up your soaps, get the little flakes off without causing other marks and scrapes. Think I will go ask that on the main forum too.

Beautiful earthy soaps love them.............tubes are a headache in my personal opinion and I am way to impatient to wait a few days.............some up to a week to get out of the piping so now I use polytubing love it just tie a knot in the end pour hang and leave for 24hrs slice the plastic off and whoola I have soap to cut and sniff

Love that earthy look and they look wonderful for your first soaps.

Tube moulds - I use a bit of mineral oil in the tube as well as the end cap. It works really well, but I think I am going to go to using the poly tubing like Lynnz is using...

Lynnz said:
Beautiful earthy soaps love them.............tubes are a headache in my personal opinion and I am way to impatient to wait a few days.............some up to a week to get out of the piping so now I use polytubing love it just tie a knot in the end pour hang and leave for 24hrs slice the plastic off and whoola I have soap to cut and sniff

So where do I learn about how to use poly tubing and where do you buy poly tubing? Is it available at local home repair stores like Home Depot and Lowes?

The cinnamon clove squares bars are my favorite. They look delish, like scrumptious squares of quality dark chocolate. I wouldn't hide it away in a closet.

I purchased mine from a packing place here in Australia industrial packaging place just google flat Polytubing it is so easy to use just cut from the roll tie the end and fill with soap love it. I bought 150um thickness but know some are using 100um thickness. I posted a pic of soap hanging in the CP forum in the chat about pringles cans. There is a formula you can use to work out which to use for the diameter you like and I can find it for you. I make 65mm soaps and the polytubing was 100mm. I will go find the calculator and you can message me if you would like it :D

Back