Mandelic Acid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but I and my daughter have both tried Lume deodorant products, which list mandelic acid as their second ingredient after water. We both found Lume products to be very effective, but we balked at paying that much for deo on an ongoing basis.

My current deo recipe containing magnesium hydroxide and zinc ricinoleate as the actives is equally affective as the Lume products at preventing odor. I'd share the recipe but it's based on one of Tina Moenck's recipes from her deo e-book that I purchased.

If you try it, I'd be very interested to hear what you think of it, and where you found it. I wasn't able to source any from the usual list of suppliers, and wasn't willing to pay the high prices for the diluted liquid versions available on Amazon.

Last edited:
I have not used Mandelic Acid in deo sticks, but I use Zinc Ricinoleate in my deo, which helps trap odor. I am assuming they are using mandelic acid for its anti-bacterial properties and is used in a small percentage since it is an alpha-hydroxy-acid.

Just curious Alison how do Tina's recipes compare to mine? I have not seen that e-book.

Hi Carolyn,

After double-checking the Lume site, I need to clarify my previous post. Mandelic acid is second only to water in their cream deo, but it is way down on the list for their solid sticks. I've tried both, and they both worked well... just too expensive. Interesting that they don't use zinc ricinoleate at all.

Some of Tina's recipes are pretty similar to yours in that they contain both the mag and zinc ingredients. She provides a lot of possible variations depending on what ingredients one wants to include or exclude. Instead of cera bellina, she strongly recommends ozokerite wax. She also uses either FCO or camellia seed oil for the liquid oil, rather than babassu.

I've tinkered quite a bit and am generally happy with the end result. Mine doesn't quite reach the nice glide-y consistency of yours, but it's close. The mag and zinc ingredients really work very well to eliminate odor, at least for me and for family members who have tried it.

No, but I and my daughter have both tried Lume deodorant products, which list mandelic acid as their second ingredient after water. We both found Lume products to be very effective, but we balked at paying that much for deo on an ongoing basis.
I haven't tried Lume but have heard it works really well. I'm with you on the price. Way too much for deodorant.
My current deo recipe containing magnesium hydroxide and zinc ricinoleate as the actives is equally affective as the Lume products at preventing odor. I'd share the recipe but it's based on one of Tina Moenck's recipes from her deo e-book that I purchased.
I totally understand. I do not share recipes I purchase either. :) I'll have to check out Zinc Ricinoleate though.
If you try it, I'd be very interested to hear what you think of it, and where you found it. I wasn't able to source any from the usual list of suppliers, and wasn't willing to pay the high prices for the diluted liquid versions available on Amazon.
I found powder on Amazon, but it's very expensive. 50 dollars for 100g. I'll probably just keep watching until I see it at a lower price or until I know how much is needed. More research needed for sure on my end. :)
I have not used Mandelic Acid in deo sticks, but I use Zinc Ricinoleate in my deo, which helps trap odor. I am assuming they are using mandelic acid for its anti-bacterial properties and is used in a small percentage since it is an alpha-hydroxy-acid.
I assume it's the anti-bacterial properties as well. No bacteria = no stink. :)
I haven't used Zinc Ricinoleate in my deodorants, maybe that is my missing ingredient. :)

Update: Found it today on Amazon for a much better price. Still on the expensive side, but worth a try at this price point. I'm going the try it along with Zinc Ricinoleate. :)

Update: Found it today on Amazon for a much better price. Still on the expensive side, but worth a try at this price point. I'm going the try it along with Zinc Ricinoleate. :)
I had noticed the price reduction, as well. Please do report back as to how it works. I’m very happy with the effectiveness of my recipe with the zinc ricineolate and mag hydroxide, but my enquiring mind still wants to know. 😄

I found this post by looking for efficacy of a zinc + mag + mandelic deo formula and curious how it fares as well! I actually use zinc oxide and magnesium chloride in mine, so I'm curious where I can find the ebooks you guys found your deo formulas? I am so happy with mine, but I'd love to buy one to compare with mine for upgrading purposes!

Wondering it mandalic acid is used in Lume products because it's safe to use on mucous membranes. I don't know if zinc and magnesium are. Lume has a very distinctive and not so pleasant odor, and the only scent they had that I could tolerate was discontinued. I'm allergenic to store bought deodorants so have to make due with other things.

I found this post by looking for efficacy of a zinc + mag + mandelic deo formula and curious how it fares as well! I actually use zinc oxide and magnesium chloride in mine, so I'm curious where I can find the ebooks you guys found your deo formulas? I am so happy with mine, but I'd love to buy one to compare with mine for upgrading purposes!
I think they found them on Etsy from a DIY shop that sells recipes. But I will let @AliOop give the real answer. :)

Wondering it mandalic acid is used in Lume products because it's safe to use on mucous membranes. I don't know if zinc and magnesium are. Lume has a very distinctive and not so pleasant odor, and the only scent they had that I could tolerate was discontinued. I'm allergenic to store bought deodorants so have to make due with other things.
I've never actually used Lume so not familiar with the scents. I'll report back if it works. :)

My starting place was Tina Moenck's e-book on deodorant, which you can purchase here.

Her original recipes were just ok for me, but not great. Fortunately, anyone who buys the e-book will also receive all updates for free. The recipes in her most recent edition (the one you get if you purchase the e-book now) were much better for me in terms of efficacy and ease of use. The primary ingredients she recommends for odor control are magnesium hydroxide and zinc ricineolate. However, I didn't want to pay the $$$ for ozokerite wax, which she recommends for the desired texture and glide. So, I did fiddle around with a few different ingredients to find something else that gave the desired glide without being too melty. I'm away from home so don't have access to my notes, but I believe I used a mix of candelilla wax and cetyl alcohol instead.

Obviously I cannot share her recipes with anyone, but if someone buys the e-book and then wants to chat with me about substitutions, feel free to PM me.

Latest posts

Back