Making liquid soap from bar soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarioBrants

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been learning how to make liquid soap from bar soap. Thus far I have been quite successful. I only encounter one problem. When turning the bar of soap into liquid handsoap the soap will not mix very well and becomes this 'suspension' however I was able to resolve this by mixing the handsoap with a stirrer. Is there a way to make handsoap without needing to stir it, for example by using a specific chemical? Thank you for any replies.

Hello,

I have been learning how to make liquid soap from bar soap. Thus far I have been quite successful. I only encounter one problem. When turning the bar of soap into liquid handsoap the soap will not mix very well and becomes this 'suspension' however I was able to resolve this by mixing the handsoap with a stirrer. Is there a way to make handsoap without needing to stir it, for example by using a specific chemical? Thank you for any replies.
The chemical used to make Liquid Soap is KOH or Pptassium Hydroxide. Or, there are many surfactants if you don't want to work with lye. I have used bar soap to thicken natural liquid soap and it was very nice.

I've only heard about people melting bar soap to make LS. They didn't like the texture, it was described as slimy or snotty. That's all I have to share. Perhaps someone here makes it your way and can be of more help.

The chemical used to make Liquid Soap is KOH or Pptassium Hydroxide. Or, there are many surfactants if you don't want to work with lye. I have used bar soap to thicken natural liquid soap and it was very nice.

I've only heard about people melting bar soap to make LS. They didn't like the texture, it was described as slimy or snotty. That's all I have to share. Perhaps someone here makes it your way and can be of more help.
Thank you for your reply! is there a way to not have this slimy or snotty texture?

Thank you for your reply! is there a way to not have this slimy or snotty
I've honestly never tried that. I've only used bar soap to thicken LS. Is there a reason that you don't want to make LS using KOH? I can recommend surfactants that you can use to make excellent hand soap bodywash & shampoos with.There would be no need for lye. Other than that, I can't help with the slime issue.

I've honestly never tried that. I've only used bar soap to thicken LS. Is there a reason that you don't want to make LS using KOH? I can recommend surfactants that you can use to make excellent hand soap bodywash & shampoos with.There would be no need for lye. Other than that, I can't help with the slime issue.
Yes, that would be very helpful!

Yes, that would be very helpful!
These are all very easy to work with and produce very nice results

1) Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate(SCI) Powder is easiest to dissolve in Coca betaine
2) Cocamidopropyl Betaine ( Use with SCI & other Surfs
3) Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate
4)Decyl Glucoside

Rather than trying to turn soap bars into liquid soap, which is not only a waste of time and money for an inferior product, it would be better to learn to make liquid soap from scratch.

Here's one source where you can learn the basics:
http://alaiynab.blogspot.com/2013/03/how-i-create-liquid-soaps-and-shampoos.html#more
It seemed to me that the op wasn't interested in working with lye. That might be why they wanted the surfactant recommendations. Not everyone is comfortable working with lye. I hope they will create something they're happy with.

Latest posts

Back