Liquor license in Arizona?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffisn

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question for you I live in Mesa, Arizona (USA) and just opened my Etsy shop selling organic body care products. I'm trying to find out what kind of licenses/ permits I need. It looks like I need a transaction privilege/ sales/ use tax license and I am going to apply tomorrow. What I'm confused about is whether or not I need a liquor license, considering I plan on using ethanol as a preservative in my products. I called the city who referred me to the health department who referred me to the board of cosmetology who referred me to the liquor department. The liquor department says you only need a liquor license for selling alcoholic beverages, so no. Is there anyone else I need to check with? I'm just doubtful, because I've always read on blogs and DIY skincare websites that you need a license or permit if you sell products containing alcohol?! Does anybody here know? Thanks so much in advance for your replies!

Are you using denatured ethanol? From where will you be getting your ethanol supplies?

For now I would like to use everclear grain alcohol that I would be purchasing from my local BevMo store.

I make soaps with wine and beer and have never had an issue with it - however I'm in CA. I've even been at shows where law enforcement has picked up by beer soap and joked with me about pulling people over for a DUI after using the soap in the shower.

I asked a friend of mine at the ATF and he said that as long as it's not drinkable they don't worry about it because there isn't any reason to be concerned. But that's the ATF - I don't know about other agencies.

Well, it's technically drinkable if it's in liquid form.... Is there a reason isopropyl won't work?

I've made products with grain alcohol and sold them and honestly it never even crossed my mind to think of a liquor license. A liquor license is for selling liquor that is to be consumed. I've never heard of a drinkable perfume or air freshener but I suppose there may be some out there.

I really wouldn't give it a second thought, and until I am told by a reputable source that I would have to have one I wouldn't worry. Even if I was told by a reputable source I would have it checked and checked again because it is not logical that it would be needed.

Back