Lip balm/Tempering Butters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aromozzi

Reaction score
I have a few questions!

1. Can you temper mango, avocado and Shea butter at the same time? Or does it need to be done separately? I tried to google, but feel like I wasn’t getting a solid answer!🤪

2. Does anyone pre-temper all their butters and then just measure them out as needed? Was thinking that could be a big time saver, since tempering can take a bit of time.

3. Does anyone use an induction plate instead of stove/ double boiler to melt. I was thinking of getting one in hopes to help control the temperature a little better?

I was getting grainy lip balms and read it’s because butters weren’t tempered properly.
Are you using a combination of coconut and shea? If so, that can cause graininess, too, according to SwiftCraftyMonkey. I've been making my lip balm recipe for over 20 years and I've never had it go grainy.

Are you using a combination of coconut and shea? If so, that can cause graininess, too, according to SwiftCraftyMonkey. I've been making my lip balm recipe for over 20 years and I've never had it go grainy.
I do use coconut oil, could that be the problem? I wasn’t initially having an issue and then I noticed a batch that wasn’t smooth and felt gritty after cooled and read that it was the butters cooling at different temperatures forming the tiny crystals. That’s where I read that you needed to temper butters. I was just trying to figure out a “fool proof” method. Maybe it was just a fluke and now I’m overthinking it all! Haha

I don't know if this is the same as tempering, but I melt all of my lip balm ingredients minus flavor oils together in a quart jar and allow to cool at room temperature. When I need to make lip balms I measure out the total amount needed as the mixture is scoopable, re-melt, add flavor and pour. I do not use shea butter+coconut oil, but I do use cocoa butter+coconut oil. I would occasionally get graininess when melting everything fresh, but haven't since I switched to this master batching method. I add ROE to the quart jar and keep it in the fridge if I know it's going to be awhile between lip balm batches.

I do use coconut oil, could that be the problem? I wasn’t initially having an issue and then I noticed a batch that wasn’t smooth and felt gritty after cooled and read that it was the butters cooling at different temperatures forming the tiny crystals. That’s where I read that you needed to temper butters. I was just trying to figure out a “fool proof” method. Maybe it was just a fluke and now I’m overthinking it all! Haha
Coconut in itself isn't the issue; there's an interaction between the coconut and shea that causes it to go grainy. It is recommended that you hold the batch at a high enough temperature to keep everything melted because butters and hard oils do melt at different temperatures. As long as you heat and hold, you should be fine.

From SCM:

What can you do to avoid grains?

Avoid using solid oils with short or medium chain triglycerides with those with higher chain triglycerides. In general, this means don’t use solid oils like coconut oil, virgin coconut oil, palm oil, or babassu oil with any butters in an anhydrous product. It’s fine in emulsions, like lotions, body butters, and so on because we have a more liquid product and we are only slightly worried about this crystal formation. (Plus, it’s hard to notice grains in something like a scrub into which we’ve added salt, sugar, pumice, and so on.)

Another thread you might find interesting: Lip balm recipe question

ETA the link to SCM's article; it is behind a paywall but contains excellent info: Triglycerides: Why coconut oil & shea butter don’t mix! Part two! – Point of Interest

I don't know if this is the same as tempering, but I melt all of my lip balm ingredients minus flavor oils together in a quart jar and allow to cool at room temperature. When I need to make lip balms I measure out the total amount needed as the mixture is scoopable, re-melt, add flavor and pour. I do not use shea butter+coconut oil, but I do use cocoa butter+coconut oil. I would occasionally get graininess when melting everything fresh, but haven't since I switched to this master batching method. I add ROE to the quart jar and keep it in the fridge if I know it's going to be awhile between lip balm batches.
Oh thanks! I was also wondering about making a bigger batch so I could use as needed so that is helpful! Thank you!

Hi,
I don't like to use shea butter in balms and salves because even when I temper the balm mixture, it still gets grainy later, especially if the balm should be kept in volatile temperatures (like the car).

I still do use it in foot balm, though and temper the oils together. I use a double boiler method, measure in all my oils and beeswax, heat, then keep between 160 & 180 F for 50 minutes. When it cools to about 150 F, I add the EOs I'm using. After pouring in containers, I put the product in the refrigerator to cool quickly.

Hi,
I don't like to use shea butter in balms and salves because even when I temper the balm mixture, it still gets grainy later, especially if the balm should be kept in volatile temperatures (like the car).

I still do use it in foot balm, though and temper the oils together. I use a double boiler method, measure in all my oils and beeswax, heat, then keep between 160 & 180 F for 50 minutes. When it cools to about 150 F, I add the EOs I'm using. After pouring in containers, I put the product in the refrigerator to cool quickly.
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back