It's happened here now - OO prices up ^

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes… that’s higher than what we pay. Can you get HO sunflower, safflower, or soy?
No - any high oleic oils are considered 'specialty' and have an even higher price tag. So approx $US10.50 per litre is more than you guys pay over there?
I've just recalculated my recipe and I'm going to use 10% OO with 30% RBO from now on (instead of my current 20% of each) to offset the price.

I've just bought 4 litres of RBO for - $17.60, I'm going add more of that in as well. The new RBO is a different brand and is orange, my usual one is yellow, so will have to compensate for the colour change.

I've just bought 4 litres of RBO for - $17.60, I'm going add more of that in as well. The new RBO is a different brand and is orange, my usual one is yellow, so will have to compensate for the colour change.
Yes that is the only problem is the colour of RBO. However one good thing (?) about the price increase is that the extra light (in colour) OO is now the same price as the 'pure', whereas it used to be dearer. So if i go back to extra light OO that will offset the extra yellow of the RBO.

No - any high oleic oils are considered 'specialty' and have an even higher price tag. So approx $US10.50 per litre is more than you guys pay over there?
I've just recalculated my recipe and I'm going to use 10% OO with 30% RBO from now on (instead of my current 20% of each) to offset the price.
I bought some olive oil this month and it was $US 11.54 per liter ($16.16USD for 1.4 litre). I wonder what's driving up the price. I can get HO Sunflower for a better price, so think I will start working with that.

Walmart has it for $19/ 3 liters so $6.33/liter. But tbh I was not thinking about NZ dollars v. US dollars. RBO is expensive here, at least where I live - I’ve never seen it at a cost effective price. That’s too bad about HO oils. They are available in bulk from restaurant supply stores here.
Not to pile on but cocoa prices have also gone way up. I use 5% cocoa butter in most of my soap so it’s not a deal breaker, but it is a big increase. The reason, according to Forbes.com:
“About 70% of the world’s cocoa is grown in West Africa, international trade association CropLife International reports. The rising prices are a result of lackluster, weather-related crop yields in West Africa. El Niño—above-average sea surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean that affects global climate patterns—has caused warmer temperatures and heavy rains in the region, which has resulted in a decline in crop yields. The ICCO attributed “unseasonal heavy rains” as the main reason the cocoa supply was affected late last year. These heavy rains have led to the spread of a fungal infection called black pod disease. This disease infects the pods, roots, stems, shoots and flower cushions of cocoa trees, causing beans to rot internally. It typically occurs during rainy seasons and is spread when rain splashes on the plants.”

Last edited:
I think the Costco price online is around US$55 for 6 liters. I have started to increase my HO sunflower to replace some of the olive oil. IIRC, the price used to be about the same for OO and sunflower - not that long ago. I also use 5% cocoa butter.

I just wonder if the prices will come down again if the crop yields return to normal.

I think the Costco price online is around US$55 for 6 liters. I have started to increase my HO sunflower to replace some of the olive oil. IIRC, the price used to be about the same for OO and sunflower - not that long ago. I also use 5% cocoa butter.

I just wonder if the prices will come down again if the crop yields return to normal.
I don’t know - I sure hope so. I’ve been looking around it has gone up everywhere.

I bought some olive oil this month and it was $US 11.54 per liter ($16.16USD for 1.4 litre). I wonder what's driving up the price. I can get HO Sunflower for a better price, so think I will start working with that.
The supply is not available as there has been disease in the crops. We are lucky here, we have our own OO.

Not to pile on but cocoa prices have also gone way up. I use 5% cocoa butter in most of my soap so it’s not a deal breaker, but it is a big increase. The reason, according to Forbes.com:
“About 70% of the world’s cocoa is grown in West Africa, international trade association CropLife International reports. The rising prices are a result of lackluster, weather-related crop yields in West Africa.
Ugh, I guess shea butter is next since so much of it also comes from W. Africa.

Last edited:
“About 70% of the world’s cocoa is grown in West Africa, international trade association CropLife International reports. The rising prices are a result of lackluster, weather-related crop yields in West Africa. El Niño—above-average sea surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean that affects global climate patterns—has caused warmer temperatures and heavy rains in the region, which has resulted in a decline in crop yields. The ICCO attributed “unseasonal heavy rains” as the main reason the cocoa supply was affected late last year. These heavy rains have led to the spread of a fungal infection called black pod disease. This disease infects the pods, roots, stems, shoots and flower cushions of cocoa trees, causing beans to rot internally. It typically occurs during rainy seasons and is spread when rain splashes on the plants.”
My cocoa butter costs have gone up by 111% so far this year. Making my body butters and lotions extremely pricey

Is the price of rice bran oil any cheaper? I usually substitute rice bran oil for olive oil. I still have a good supply of rice bran oil, as I bought it in bulk. I haven't kept up with the change in prices for rice bran oil.

Latest posts

Back