Is there an easy way to remove the smell from used cooking oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's my first time posting and I'm relatively new to the soap making scene. I want to preface by saying that I am a very frugal person and am getting into soap as a hobby. I made a bar before using used soybean oil. I don't know if its because i used too little fragrance or if the oil is perverting the scent but I personally think it stinks. I want to use used oil in the future and just wanted to get out in front of it and see if there's a way to remove the scent. The only idea I have is to run the oil through a t-shirt to collect as many bits and pieces of fried food but I doubt that would work.

I’m curious about reusing cooking oil now! Yesterday my son the chef came over to watch the Super Bowl with us. He made homemade tortilla chips, frying them in canola oil. He apologized for leaving me with about half a gallon of used oil. But I said thank you! I think I can make soap out of this and give it back to you as a useful product! He was so impressed. The cutie pie! It’s pretty clean (compared to some of the posts I’ve read - came straight from the bottle and only used this once). I may be able to get away with just straining it. But maybe to be safe I should perform a wash technique? I need to make soap anyway, as I only have a few bars left - and now I’m inspired! I wonder what fragrances I have on hand that would work well with the oil? What other oils or butters could I add that would make it a higher fat content?

I've used it @50%. With cherry almond FO and still got a bit of the smell. Just my results. Makes a good utility soap. Dont expect to much from it. If you have time to let it sit abit. Alot of gunk will settle out of it. Then filter the rest. Go high CO and add pumice. You would have a nice mechanic style soap.

Latest posts

Back