Is it different?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoozoo

Reaction score
Hello friends
I did not know what to choose between the types of coconut oil in the soap calculator..
I have virgin coconut oil (what should I choose)?
What if I want to use refined oil, but it does not specify its exact type?
just refined (what should I choose)?
IMG_9674.jpeg

The usual coconut oil is 76deg. This is the one that is generally solid at room temperature until summer arrives, at which time it goes runny in the heat. It's also the one that is sold at supermarkets. Fractionated coconut oil is usually sold as MCT oil and is always liquid (and is more expensive). I've never seen 92 deg CO for sale here so i don't know if it's very common.
It doesn't matter if it's virgin, refined, whatever, just choose whatever is cheapest because it doesn't matter for soap. Use the 76deg CO in the calculator if the oil is solid at less than 76 degrees.

The SAP value (the amount of lye needed to fully saponify an oil) is the same for 76 degree and 92 degree, so your lye calculation won't change regardless of which you choose to enter into a soap calculator. Like @KiwiMoose I have only seen 76 degree coconut oil sold in stores where I live, but I have seen 92 degree available on line. Fractionated coconut oil is is different.

Last edited:
The usual coconut oil is 76deg. This is the one that is generally solid at room temperature until summer arrives, at which time it goes runny in the heat. It's also the one that is sold at supermarkets. Fractionated coconut oil is usually sold as MCT oil and is always liquid (and is more expensive). I've never seen 92 deg CO for sale here so i don't know if it's very common.
It doesn't matter if it's virgin, refined, whatever, just choose whatever is cheapest because it doesn't matter for soap. Use the 76deg CO in the calculator if the oil is solid at less than 76 degrees.
Yes, it is solid oil
This type is available in the supermarket
Thank you KiwiMoose

The SAP value (the amount of lye needed to fully saponify an oil) is the same for 76 degree and 92 degree, so your lye calculation won't change regardless of which you choose to enter into a soap calculator. Like @KiwiMoose I have only seen 76 degree coconut oil sold in stores where I live, but I have seen 92 degree available on line. Fractionated coconut oil is is different.
I was a little confused
I thought there was a difference between them
Thank you dibbles

Back