Inspiration?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladydiana

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Being a newbie at soap making, I was wondering what inspires you with your next soap creation. Is it colors or scents? Is it what customers are requesting? I noticed that I choose a scent that I like and then see what colors will fit.

Also, when you first started out, what size batches did you make? I have two molds that my husband made for me and they fit about 4 lbs each. The biggest batch that I have made is three pounds. I like to be able to cut my soap, but what am I going to do with all that soap. I am already running out of room. I am not selling yet and I thought I would save some and hand some out for samples to people that I know to let them try and critique.

Diana

A scent or a theme is usually my starting point and I still only make 1 kg size batches which is what I started out doing.

Mostly, it's a scent that inspires me, but I also get input from family members and friends. My brother-in-law has given me some great ideas- he's one of my biggest fans (he uses a lot of my soap).

My first 2 batches were 3 lbs each, which for a beginner makes a lot of soap I found out to my dismay when I had to throw both batches out. One was lye heavy and the other came down with DOS.

I don't sell, so I pretty much keep myself to 2.5 lbs at a time (just a little over 1 kg) for my normal batches (9 bars), and 1.13 lbs (.51 kg) for my experimental batches (4 bars). Around Christmas time I sometimes make a few 5 lb batches (2.3 kg) for a few of the more popular scents. This is all plenty to keep hubby, son, myself, plus my extended family and friends (and sometimes friends of friends) happily awash in bubbles, with enough left over for those times when I want to give a special gift to someone.

IrishLass :)

I usually start with a scent. But if I get a new color I figure out what goes with it. As far as batch size. I have bought a lot of new fragrances. I don't need 3lbs of each fragrance, so I am going to 1lb batches. I am even having my dad make me another 1lb wood mold. I get 5 bars out of each 1lb so I have plenty to share. :D

I am thinking of having hubby make me a smaller mold. I really like the wooden molds because I can put them in the oven.

I find inspiration from many places. I follow many blogs, check out You Tube heaps and the pics on this forum. Plus I ask people what smells they like and what colours they think of when I give them the names of certain smells. I also look to nature for inspiration.

I love being in swaps and get loads of inspiration for the soaps that other people make.

When I started I used to make 750 gm, as I use silicon loaf moulds and that was a great size for them. I now mostly make 2 kg at a time, but will trial a new FO in a 750 gm batch if I'm unsure of how it will behave.

I usually start with a person, a friend or family member and think about what they might like or what they remind me of. From there I build scent, color, and design. I also make soaps to commemorate events: birthdays, weddings, the blue moon, etc.

Most of my relatives have soaps named after them by this point.

scent!
sometimes you just go sniffing through and say, I HAVE to soap this today.

I think I am still too new a soaper to have a "Primary Inspiration" for my soaping. I am trying new things and experimenting a lot right now and it is the discovery process that is my inspiration.

Back