How Can This Batch Be Saved?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I attempted a Taiwan Swirl this morning using Apple Jack N Peel, a CC FO that was reported to not accelerate. Not sure if it was the FO or something else but this batch accelerated like it was at the drag races. I glopped it in the mold, barely got the dividers out, attempted to swirl it into something and all that did was leave air pockets. I got them filled in and pounded it on the floor to try and get out air bubbles but I expect there will be a lot. It is in a box with a heating pad which is how I CPOP. I expect it to be filled with air pockets and just plain ugly. There are three colors, red, green and a yellow/gold. I am wondering if/how to rebatch, my first thought is to grate it up and do a ciaglia using a neutral color. How much new batter is required/recommended for this method? I have used a small amount of soap into a much larger amount of batter but would prefer to do the opposite. I made a 1000 gram batch and don't need to end up with too much more soap. Appreciate any advice.

Ciaglia or confetti are my favorite ways to rebatch soap. If you look at this month's challenge, it includes a link to a video with ciagli instructions. :)

Another way to use up soap shreds is to make whipped soap sugar scrubs. We have a few threads here on SMF about that, too.

Meanwhile, I hope your soap is a pleasant surprise when you do cut it!

I hope your Taiwan swirl worked @Tammyfarms. If not, you might be able to cut the colors apart, then knead the soap to turn it into soap dough. All three colors would work great as shapes or embeds in Christmas soap! For those parts of the soap where colors are already mixed, you could make soap balls. I’ve discovered one nice thing about soap balls is that they drain water well.

For confetti soap or Ciaglia, the colors might work to simulate a meadow with gold and yellow flowers in a landscape design. Earlier today I found a picture of @basti ’s landscape soap that blew me away! He used MP, but that bar is great inspiration, and a challenge to all of us to tap into our creativity. Keep reading the thread to find out how many layers he used. Amazing!

I hope your Taiwan swirl worked @Tammyfarms. If not, you might be able to cut the colors apart, then knead the soap to turn it into soap dough. All three colors would work great as shapes or embeds in Christmas soap! For those parts of the soap where colors are already mixed, you could make soap balls. I’ve discovered one nice thing about soap balls is that they drain water well.

For confetti soap or Ciaglia, the colors might work to simulate a meadow with gold and yellow flowers in a landscape design. Earlier today I found a picture of @basti ’s landscape soap that blew me away! He used MP, but that bar is great inspiration, and a challenge to all of us to tap into our creativity. Keep reading the thread to find out how many layers he used. Amazing!
Thank you Cathy. I am headed out in a few minutes to take a look. 🤞🏻 Great idea on the soap dough. I haven’t tried that yet so something new to learn!
You are right about Basti’s soap, WOW! So beautiful. I have done ciaglia before but was hoping to not end up with a ton of soap with this fragrance.

It’s not nearly as bad as I expected. There were a few holes that I patched and it’s definitely not the prettiest soap I had made, nor is it what I planned. But overall it’s certainly usable and it smells lovely. Still needs beveling.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5965.jpeg
    IMG_5965.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I don’t know if the colors are right in the picture, but it looks like a rustic red white and blue soap. Glad you were able to save it!
Thanks! It’s red, white and green. The fragrance is Apple Jack N Peel from crafters choice. One of my favorite Christmas scents which unfortunately, I can’t use as I am sensitive to it. I am thankful I can be around it enough to make soap with it.

Latest posts

Back