Frustration near New Orleans

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Reaction score
Ok, so I could go into the weather and whatnot but everyone knows about that. One of my biggest frustrations with this area is that I can guarantee that if the rest of the country has something WE do NOT. I can't tell you the number of times I've looked for something specific and not been able to find it.

Case in point, these little skeleton coffin things from Dollar Tree to use for wax melts. I just spent a good 4 hours driving around to every one in the area and not a single one carries them. The only way to get them is to order them in. The colors will be random and you MUST order $30 plus delivery and taxes. Instead of just being able to pick them up in the store like everywhere else in the country. Why do I say this? Because someone in a group I'm part of said they are using them for selling wax melts and a bunch of people went out to get them. But only up north.

This isn't the first time this happens. It's all the time. I've had people suggest better places to get citric acid only none of the feed and seed type places or the wine type places carry it. If they do, it's a few ounces for an exorbitant amount of money (think $6 for 2 ounces).

It just gets incredibly frustrating sometimes. I can't just go pick most things up because we don't have places anywhere in Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi or Texas that isn't at least 6 hours one way to buy them. Closest you might be able to get the whatever the thing is, is probably Dallas or Nashville.

But hey I can buy that little plastic coffin for $10 each on Amazon or $20 each on ebay.

Last edited:
I've seen those coffins as well and they show as 'available' in our local store. I was going to go check them out tomorrow and depending on how cute they are/the amount and selection available, I may order a case to pick up at the store. I don't know what Dollar Tree charges for shipping, but we can see if it's cheaper for me to ship them to you if you want? Unfortunately I won't be back in New Orleans until Mardi Gras.

I've seen those coffins as well and they show as 'available' in our local store. I was going to go check them out tomorrow and depending on how cute they are/the amount and selection available, I may order a case to pick up at the store. I don't know what Dollar Tree charges for shipping, but we can see if it's cheaper for me to ship them to you if you want? Unfortunately I won't be back in New Orleans until Mardi Gras.
Thank you so much. I'd love to know the price in store. I want the clear ones. Every single thing on the dollar tree website shows as shipping only for me.

I just spent a good 4 hours driving around to every one in the area and not a single one carries them.
Wouldn't it have been easier just to call? It's what I do when my local Costco is out of something...so I call the Costco near my office and/or the one that is just off the Interstate on my way home.

Another thought...splitsies. My sister and I often split items we purchase from Costco either because we don't need that much and so it would go to waste or because of cost. You probably don't need a whole case (24) of those Coffin-Shaped containers, but maybe a another person or persons HERE would be interested and since you can ship to the store for free...makes it fairly affordable to do so.

I get the frustration. I see lots of dollar store items online and mine never have them, not the crafty stuff, not the garden stuff, not the glassware.
Even my local walmart that isn't that local, often doesn't have items I need. Anymore, I check Amazon before I even bother with local stores.

Wouldn't it have been easier just to call? It's what I do when my local Costco is out of something...so I call the Costco near my office and/or the one that is just off the Interstate on my way home.

Another thought...splitsies. My sister and I often split items we purchase from Costco either because we don't need that much and so it would go to waste or because of cost. You probably don't need a whole case (24) of those Coffin-Shaped containers, but maybe a another person or persons HERE would be interested and since you can ship to the store for free...makes it fairly affordable to do so.
Tried that. They say "I don't know". It's easier to just drive with the pure laziness shown.

Is Oriental Trading Company still around? That sort of item would be just their thing. We used to order seasonal stuff from them for a florist I worked at.

I think that if you order from Dollar Tree and have it shipped to your local store, there is no shipping fee
I thought maybe I could do that. But it doesn't seem to have the option. Plus, I don't see ever using all 24. I'd like to get the clear ones, and the box has a mix of them so they won't be all clear.

Ok, so I could go into the weather and whatnot but everyone knows about that. One of my biggest frustrations with this area is that I can guarantee that if the rest of the country has something WE do NOT. I can't tell you the number of times I've looked for something specific and not been able to find it.

Case in point, these little skeleton coffin things from Dollar Tree to use for wax melts. I just spent a good 4 hours driving around to every one in the area and not a single one carries them. The only way to get them is to order them in. The colors will be random and you MUST order $30 plus delivery and taxes. Instead of just being able to pick them up in the store like everywhere else in the country. Why do I say this? Because someone in a group I'm part of said they are using them for selling wax melts and a bunch of people went out to get them. But only up north.

This isn't the first time this happens. It's all the time. I've had people suggest better places to get citric acid only none of the feed and seed type places or the wine type places carry it. If they do, it's a few ounces for an exorbitant amount of money (think $6 for 2 ounces).

It just gets incredibly frustrating sometimes. I can't just go pick most things up because we don't have places anywhere in Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi or Texas that isn't at least 6 hours one way to buy them. Closest you might be able to get the whatever the thing is, is probably Dallas or Nashville.

But hey I can buy that little plastic coffin for $10 each on Amazon or $20 each on ebay.
If you find them online at Dollar Tree I am pretty sure you can have them shipped to your local Dollar Tree for free. I have been told by others that they have done this. YMMV.

Sorry, I didn't read all of the posts and see others beat me to my suggestion.

I understand your frustration because there are others who see the same post as you about a cute item, run to the store, clear the shelf then post in a FB group asking what they can do with that item.

I wish I could but the option to ship to store for free is greyed out for every Dollar Tree in the area. I live near New Orleans so.. unable to deliver to any store in New Orleans, Metairie, Kenner, Mandeville, Covington, Slidell, or Harahan. I checked all of them. This kind of thing is what I was talking about in my first post. Things that are available elsewhere in the country aren't available here.

Last edited:
I wish I could but the option to ship to store for free is greyed out for every Dollar Tree in the area. I live near New Orleans so.. unable to deliver to any store in New Orleans, Metairie, Kenner, Mandeville, Covington, Slidell, or Harahan. I checked all of them. This kind of thing is what I was talking about in my first post. Things that are available elsewhere in the country aren't available here.
How many of these are you looking for? I have to go to Dollar Tree in a couple of hours. I can see if they are available here.

That would be awesome. Thank you so much. I wanted to get 8. Heck 4 would work. The 8 is just so I have extra.

I checked my Dollar Tree and there weren't any out. I will check again later in the week for you.
Thanks. I think I'll just have to forget it. I just ordered some packaging from amazon. It won't be nearly as cute but it will work. Not worth this much effort.

I just get frustrated because this happens all the time. There's over a million people in the New Orleans metro. I don't understand how we don't have the things somewhere around the lake that people do further north. It's really bizarre. Even Florida and Texas carries the same things they do up north. The New Orleans metro seems to live in a bubble.

Latest posts

Back