F.O. combo max usage rate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadja2024

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to cp making and I bought an F.O. that don’t smell strong enough for my taste and the IFRA max usage rate is 3.31%. My question is: If I use another F.O. along with it in my batch that has a 5% max usage rate, can I make a total of 8.31% F.O. in my soap batch? Thanks in advance for your help 🙏😊

Yes, that would theoretically be okay to do. But you might not want to use that much fragrance in your soap from a practical point of view.

Even if the safe dosage is really high, I've learned over time to not dose my soap at more than about 6% fragrance.

I've run into problems with fragrance weeping out of the soap when I dosed at 8% and 10%. A high amount of fragrance can make soap softer as well.

Also one would want to be sure the combination didn't add up to going over the IFRA levels for any of the individual aroma chemicals within the fo's. It could easily go over especially for similar scents.

I was typing this while @paradisi was posting. For all practical purposes, I think the answer is no, unless you know the composition of the FOs. For example, both FOs might contain the same constituent that is allowed at 3.31% max. If you use the first FO at 3.31% and the second FO has any of the constituent, you will be over the limit for that constituent.

Yes, that would theoretically be okay to do. But you might not want to use that much fragrance in your soap from a practical point of view.

Even if the safe dosage is really high, I've learned over time to not dose my soap at more than about 6% fragrance.

I've run into problems with fragrance weeping out of the soap when I dosed at 8% and 10%. A high amount of fragrance can make soap softer as well.
Thks for answering me 😊

I was typing this while @paradisi was posting. For all practical purposes, I think the answer is no, unless you know the composition of the FOs. For example, both FOs might contain the same constituent that is allowed at 3.31% max. If you use the first FO at 3.31% and the second FO has any of the constituent, you will be over the limit for that constituent.
Thank you for your answer 😊

Also one would want to be sure the combination didn't add up to going over the IFRA levels for any of the individual aroma chemicals within the fo's. It could easily go over especially for similar scents.
Thks so much

Thks for your answer ☺️

Latest posts

Back