Best Deal for smaller amounts of lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziesgirl

Reaction score
I did a search, but can't find this as a recent topic. I am wondering where you get your best deal on smaller amounts of lye. I have always just bought whatever 2 pound containers were the least expensive from Amazon, because I just make soap for our family and to give as gifts. Our family has really grown since I began making soap and they are really burning through the soap these days, so I want to make sure I am doing it as economically as possible.
Thanks!

If you have Amazon Prime it's usually better to order from them. The Lye Guy is another economical favorite here, but for small amounts the shipping will make the cost more than Amazon Prime.

If you have the room, you might consider buying a bit more at a time and storing it well. I do that, and haven’t had any problems with the lye degrading, even over a year or more.

Ordering from Essential Depot via Amazon was great for me. Free shipping with Prime, and a 32-lb order comes in sixteen 2-lb bottles. That is very convenient for long-term storage. You can also repurpose those containers for master-batched lye solution.

Although I can get 50lbs from the local chemical supply warehouse for much less, it comes in one large container. I don't make that much soap and didn’t want to hassle with decanting it into smaller containers for proper storage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back