Another great lard recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
This is one of those "I'm low on oils but I want to make soap so I tossed this together" recipes. Tried it today for the first time and my skin feels fantastic. I've been super dry lately and didn't have to use lotion after showering.

Its not a very bubbly recipe, in fact it has very little lather when using your hands but a bath poof creates mounds of slick, fluffy lather. Kinda like castile but without the slime.

http://www.evernote.com/l/ANgoPncy30VDKrfA7N21sqT276ps6s0FFj4/

OH thank you for this! I have been wanting to use some pumpkin oil and I have a wad o' lard to use up :)

I really think the pumpkin oil has a lot to do with it. This soap has made my love my handmade soap again, I just wish it was a bit better lathering. As nice as it is though, I don't want to change a thing.

I love pumpkin seed oil. I think it's noticeable in even small amounts. I'm going to give yours a try. I've got some cocoa butter to use up so the timing is perfect!

My current pumpkin oil recipe is:

Lard 55%
Castor 5%
CO 15%
Pumpkin Seed 10%
Shea 5%
OO 10%

1/2 water subbed for aloe water
1/2 water subbed for goat milk
1 tbsp Colloidal oatmeal ppo
sodium lactate
1 tbsp pumpkin puree ppo

6% SF (not taking the fat in the goat milk into account)

I keep reaching for this bar over all the new ones I've recently made. It's creamy/bubbly/moisturizing.

Thanks for the recipe. I don't have pumpkin seed oil, but will play around with SoapCalc and substitute.

Looks like sunflower or grapeseed might be a decent sub, I might try the sunflower to see how it compares. It would be nice to find a sub since pumpkin is so pricey.

I just made a lard soap with the following ingredients:

Water
Fozen Yogurt --used for 1/3 of the liquid

Lard 48%
Olive Oil 28%
Babssu Oil 19%
Castor Oil 5%
1/4 cup ground oatmeal
2 Tbs. honey
FO Oatmeal Milk and Honey

Numbers are:

Hardness 41
Cleansing 14
Conditioning 55
Bubbly 18
Creamy 32

I am pretty sure that I will have more bubbles with the yogurt and honey.

I've never used yogurt in soap, does it make a noticeable difference in lather? I couldn't find any sunflower oil yesterday so I got canola instead. After checking soapcal this morning, I should have got corn oil instead, its numbers are near identical to pumpkin.

If you use frozen yogurt as 100% of your liquid, I am sure the sugars in the yogurt would make a difference. I only had a small jar of frozen yogurt, so I used it as about 1/3 of the liquid and added it to the oils. Apricot kernel and almond oils have the SAP number as pumpkin soap. Here is a link to a great oil chart:

http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/mas_assets/theme/ngc/pdf/soapoils.pdf

Back