All coconut soap separating in mold...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mollybygolly

Reaction score
Hello soap friends! I am trying my hand and all coconut soap. I used 16 oz. coconut oil, 6.1 oz coconut water, 2.2 oz of lye. I added titanium dioxide and a tangerine blend to do an in the pot swirl when I realized I forgot to add the 1.6 oz of fragrance-mango madness by ED. So I added it, and hand stirred it in, messing up my swirl and making the whole thing light orange. I didn't stick blend because it was starting to get thick. I poured in poppyseed and stirred them in and poured it into the mold. It was starting to look grainy immediately. So I added a little decoration to the top to cover it. I covered with a lid and let sit. Then 30 min later I notice it starting to overheat and separate. Now it has oily fragrance pools on top, which I have blotted with paper towels. I put it in the freezer to keep it from overheating but I'm worried that it will not be any good. Wondering if I can reprocess with those sugar crystals I put on top or is it just a goner? Thanks for any advice!

You fo probably caused ricing and/seperation plus the overheating. I would dump it in a non-reactive pot and rebatch. You can use a double boiler, or crockpot or in the oven at 200 -220 degrees Fahrenheit. Crock-pot being the best choice for this batch since you very well may have to sb it back together. I would not blot off anymore oil, you want all that you can get back in the pot for rebatching

The sugar should not affect the re-batch. You will just get a bit more lather from the soap. I suspect that between your coconut oil, the coconut water, and the FO, you overheated from the get-go. Not to mention that you might want to be careful with that FO in the future. I'm not saying don't use it, just maybe not with other heating elements. That's assuming that my SoapCalc skills are working at this time of day, and you intended a 25% superfat.

Thank you! That soap turned out to be first total disaster, but I learned a LOT! So that's what matters. Yes, I did intend a 25% superfat. But, in the end I tried to reprocess it...and failed. How much liquid do you guys usually add to your soap when you reprocess it? I added way too much!

For fresh soap, I often don't have to add any extra liquid. If the soap is old and dry I may end up using 1/2 cup water for 1 lb of grated soap. It really depends on the age of the soap, always start out with just a couple Tbsp and add more as needed.

Latest posts

Back