olive pomace vs. refined or virgin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honor435

Reaction score
what is olive pomace? ive been using regular vigin from grocery store, going to place an order with columbus foods, what is the difference in the olive oils, does it matter?

I believe pomace is a lower quality olive oil and is favored by soap makers over the other olive oils. I think the cost is lower too , which is a bonus.

HTH

Kitn

From what I have read it is the last bits of oil left in the processed olives, extracted with solvents I think. I use pomace because you can get 4L for $20. The 100% pomace soap is really nice. It has a natural olive scent and was really hard with discounted water (I did HP). I give it two thumbs up ;)

The woman who taught the soapmaking class I took brought up a good point when talking about extra virgin olive oil vs. pomace.: our skin doesn't know the difference between the two.

Stacykins said:
The woman who taught the soapmaking class I took brought up a good point when talking about extra virgin olive oil vs. pomace.: our skin doesn't know the difference between the two.

But what sort of residue is left from the solvents that are used to extract the soap???

I use Pomace for cooking and soap, and haven't thought about the residues left by the solvent before??? I haven't noticed that it tastes bad, but I just use a little to oil the pan, rather than for salads.

I'm not big on extra virgin olive, it turns the soap yellow.

I've been using regular olive oil lately and like it.... gives the soap a nice white color and I can get it locally for $5.50 for a liter.

Pomace will trace quicker than extra virgin or pure. I just buy pure.
And yes pomace is extracted with chemical solvents (hexane), whereas normal olive (virgin/pure) is cold pressed.
Each type is a different colour so will impart different colour into the finished soap.

ChrissyB said:
Pomace will trace quicker than extra virgin or pure. I just buy pure.
And yes pomace is extracted with chemical solvents (hexane), whereas normal olive (virgin/pure) is cold pressed.
Each type is a different colour so will impart different colour into the finished soap.

I agree 100%.

I used pomace when I first started making soap and didn't like it...especially since it has small particles of olive in it.

My preference is the grade A or B olive oil (pure in other words). Soaps up nice and white, has a great smell, is cheaper than EVOO, doesn't have extra chemicals in it and doesn't trace too quickly (especially when using a stick blender) so you can play around with designs for the soap...like marbling and embeds, etc.

Latest posts

Back