Amount of ROE per batch..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodym

Reaction score
Hello Soapers! I am getting ready to make a few small batches of soap and last year for the first time in making soap (6 yrs or more) i had a problem with DOS!
I purchased fresh oils and also bought some ROE and would like to add to my oils. Per batch. So here is my recipe and could you help me with an amount to add to each batch as I'm making it. I dont have any jojoba oil to dilute, but do i have to dilute? Anyway thank you for any help guys! I appreciate it!

284 grams olive
227 grams coconut
184 grams palm
85 grams Canola
43 grams Castor

271 Grams H2O
116 grams Lye

Again thank you so much!!

I generally add my ROE to the bottles of oil as I open them, rather than adding to each batch. There is no need to dilute when adding to the soft oils in their bottles. I don't add ROE to hard oils, though since I don't melt large amounts at a time. CO seems to last forever, so I don't think it needs ROE.

I would suggest you look at your ROE vendor's website to determine the correct amount to add to oils. The concentration or strength of the component, carnosic acid can vary from one ROE product to another, so your vendor should have that information. Because of the varying strengths and not knowing your product, I would not hazard a guess as to how much you need.

This resource may help: http://www.soap-making-resource.com/rosemary-oleoresin.html

I'm totally confused for some reason.. but will continue to read through the links you guys have sent me! Thank you so much. My purchased my ROE from Camden Grey and it is 1.5-2.5% Carnosic acid. At Classic Bells they suggest using the 5%-7% Carnosic acid ROE and using 0.2 to 1.0 ROE per 1000 Grams of fat and i use 823 Grams of fat..For some reason i am just not getting this!?

You will want to use more of your 2% ROE to compensate. I use 0.5 grams of 7% ROE for 1000 grams of fat. You might want to use about 3 times more of your 2% ROE or 1.5 grams per 1000 grams of fat. Like this --

2% ROE, grams = (fat, grams) X 1.5 / 1000

For your 823 grams of fat --

2% ROE = 823 X 1.5 / 1000 = 1.23 gram

Edit -- Kevin Dunn opined that it's the rosmarinic acid content that gives ROE its antioxidant abilities. I haven't found any ROE that lists the rosmarinic acid content, so I'm having to assume it's proportional to the carnosic acid content, which is provided by many suppliers. That's the best I or anyone else can do short of hiring a chem lab to do a gas chromatograph analysis of the various ROE products on the market.

Another thought to keep in mind -- Too much antioxidant can actually be worse than no antioxidant at all. (Look up pro-oxidation if you're curious.) If you must err on your ROE dosage, err on the side of using a wee bit LESS in your fats rather than more.

Thank you so much! I gotcha! I think my brain is overwhelmed today.. we are having another snow storm up here in Minnesota so a good day for researching before soap making tomorrow.. i will continue reading all this information! Great information in these links! Thank you so much!

Thank you so much! I gotcha! I think my brain is overwhelmed today.. we are having another snow storm up here in Minnesota so a good day for researching before soap making tomorrow.. i will continue reading all this information! Great information in these links! Thank you so much!

It's also a good idea to mix the ROE with a little bit of the oil you are about to treat. Then pour the oil/ROE mix in. It just makes it easier to mix through all the oil.

Latest posts

Back