bb fragrance oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigsaw

Reaction score
When making my bb's, im finding the scent is very mild, next to non existant when being used.

I used 1 tsp of essential oil per recipe, which was enough to make (2) 2-3/8" bb's. The scent is very strong during the prep/dry time. But come bath time, it doesn't exist.

Is it the oil that is failing me, or something else?

Which EOs are you using? It sounds like it is not enough, but I do not make bath bombs. Before you increase the amount, do some research to figure out how much is skin safe.

Try this fragrance calculator and use the setting for “salts.” Do you weigh your ingredients? That will help with accuracy so you can have the max you need without going over the skin safe amounts

What percentage of EO/FO are you using? Weighing your ingredients and EO/FO will make a difference. You will just need to find out safe usage rates and I generally go to the higher amount allowed as I've found that fragrance in BB's does get a bit lost with the BS and Citric.

battlegnome - when it comes to that calculator, it asks what I am making. what are bath bombs considered? going off of the recipe below, when it asks for total amount, whether it be ounces or grams, is it asking for the weight of all ingredients, or just the dry ingredients?

shunt2011 - My current recipe is in ounces, and the liquids are measured in teaspoons. (see below)

here is what I am currently using:
4 oz. baking soda
2 oz. corn starch
2 oz. citric acid
2 oz. Epsom salt
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon essential oil
1 1/4 teaspoon oil (I like coconut or olive oil here)
1-2 drops food coloring (optional)

battlegnome - when it comes to that calculator, it asks what I am making. what are bath bombs considered? going off of the recipe below, when it asks for total amount, whether it be ounces or grams, is it asking for the weight of all ingredients, or just the dry ingredients?

shunt2011 - My current recipe is in ounces, and the liquids are measured in teaspoons. (see below)

here is what I am currently using:
4 oz. baking soda
2 oz. corn starch
2 oz. citric acid
2 oz. Epsom salt
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon essential oil
1 1/4 teaspoon oil (I like coconut or olive oil here)
1-2 drops food coloring (optional)

Everything should be measured by weight. I measure everything by grams for accuracy. You need to figure out percentages for EO/FO and weight is the easiest way to do it. Teaspoon/cups etc are not accurate for consistency. :)

I would use the “salts” setting, I believe it is meant for bath salts. It asks for the weight of all ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back