Vanillin in whipped soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fg123

Reaction score
Hi, im so confused about vanillin in whipped soap. Does the vanillin discolor it? Does adding mica cover up the discoloration? I want to buy a new fragrance but it has 9% vanillin in it so im a bit scared. I have a fragrance oil that has .30% vanilin that I use in my whipped soap, but I add mica so I havent noticed any discoloration. Thanks!

Vanilin does discolor soap, but I'm not sure what the minimum percentage is for it to produce noticeable discoloration. I made a test batch with nothing but vanillin for fragrance, and it's nearly black. I didn't use any colorants at all.

9% vanillin is pretty high- it will definitely cause your soap to discolor to a dark tan/brown color. Using a mica might color it a bit, but it won't mask the brown or lighten it.

This link provides a guide for how much discoloration you can expect...
https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/why-did-my-soap-turn-brown/

Thanks! I've never seen that page before. And I had just started to build a spreadsheet to display vanillan percentages (among other things) for all of my fragrances. This makes it much easier to find, rather than looking up each fragrance individually - at least for BrambleBerry products.

I found it interesting that their vanilla stabilizer has 2% vanillan. Go figure!

Vanilin does discolor soap, but I'm not sure what the minimum percentage is for it to produce noticeable discoloration. I made a test batch with nothing but vanillin for fragrance, and it's nearly black. I didn't use any colorants at all.

How did it smell? Where did you buy straight vanillin?

Back