January SMF Challenge -Hidden Heart Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! Thank you so much for your patience with me! I really appreciate it! I hope you enjoy this month’s challenge.

Welcome to the January 2018 SMF Soap Challenge!

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules)-

General Rules:
1. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

NOW
This month’s challenge is to create a Hidden Swirl Heart soap. The idea behind this soap is that a concentric circle design is created and when a skewer is drawn into the soap, it will create a heart design when cut in half.

SMF Challenge specific rules:

You must use at least 3 colors
The design must be cut in half at the end.
You may use a loaf mold or a slab mold for this design.
You may have one or many hearts per soap.
The heart must be hidden; it can not be painted on the surface of the soap.

You may modify this method as you see fit to achieve a well defined Hidden Heart! I’m looking forward to seeing what you all develop! Hot process and melt and pour are welcome as long as the Hidden Swirl aspect is kept in tact.

*If you are unsure whether or not your design falls in line with the rules, please ask immediately so that you have enough time to make a soap. You can pm me or ask on the thread.

Challenge Entry Thread Opens January 20, 2017.
Challenge Entry Thread Closes January 26, 2017.
Survey for choosing the winning choices opens immediately the 26th.
Winners Announced January 30th, 2017.

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on November 17, 2017 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)
· After the closing date November 26, 2017 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on November 30, 2017. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for for voting.[

This method is being developed by all of you. I know it is possible based on what I have done. But it is not perfected by any means! Together we can develop this technique into a beautiful Swirl! Please feel free to experiment and share your findings (if you want).

Finished soap (see the Heart in bottom right?)

IMG_6217.jpg

Video:

https://youtu.be/efLZacIuXdQ

Note: try dragging the skewer a variety of ways to see how your soap changes! I wanted to try giving the end of the soap. Also try dragging the skewer through before adding the final layer of soap. You may get better results that way!

I hope you are not discouraged from experimenting. I’m looking forward to seeing the new soaps we all come up with.

Just watched the video, seems like something I'd like to try but is it possible to get more information on how the soap was cut please? I'm a bit confused about that

Primrose, absolutely!!

The soap is not cut like a normal bar. It is cut to make a thick, rectangular bar and then that is cut horizontally across the center to reveal the hidden design. Like a mantra swirl if you have seen those.

Let me get pictures or a video to put up!

Edit:

I cut it just like this soap in this video (start at 6 minutes)

https://youtu.be/-AqRcmQVnBg

I have a few tips that make most of the measurements unnecessary. Use a standard bar of soap and lay it flat over the finished soap. That will give you a gauge of where to cut it without measuring. I’ll get a picture of that.

1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
3. newbie- I have an eye to doing this a bit differently but still ending up with a heart in the middle. That's okay, I hope!

Primrose, absolutely!!

The soap is not cut like a normal bar. It is cut to make a thick, rectangular bar and then that is cut horizontally across the center to reveal the hidden design. Like a mantra swirl if you have seen those.

Let me get pictures or a video to put up!

Edit:

I cut it just like this soap in this video (start at 6 minutes)

https://youtu.be/-AqRcmQVnBg

I have a few tips that make most of the measurements unnecessary. Use a standard bar of soap and lay it flat over the finished soap. That will give you a gauge of where to cut it without measuring. I’ll get a picture of that.

Thank you! And would the same apply if you use a slab mould?

1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
3. newbie- I have an eye to doing this a bit differently but still ending up with a heart in the middle. That's okay, I hope!
4. earlene - Hooray! I've been away from the challenges for too long, so am looking forward to this one.

Newbie, it should be! As long as the soap is cut horizontally at the end and the spirit of the challenge is upheld (which I know you are all about!)

Can’t wait to see the results.

Thank you! And would the same apply if you use a slab mould?

Yes, you would just pour a slab 2x thicker than usual, cut the soaps as normal -or use the regular dividers if your mold has them-, then cut them in half horizontally. You would have 2x the amount of soap you would normally get from the mold. Keep this in mind as you choose your mold size and double the batch size you normally use in that slab mold.

1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
4. earlene - Hooray! I've been away from the challenges for too long, so am looking forward to this one.
5. BattleGnome - which mold, which mold, which mold....

1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
6. Mx6inpenn - I haven't gotten a challenge submitted on time in ages, so I'm looking to break the streak!

1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
6. Mx6inpenn - I haven't gotten a challenge submitted on time in ages, so I'm looking to break the streak!
7. Penelopejane - this is way outside my comfort zone. I'll try.

1. Kittish<br />
2. dibbles - <3 this!<br />
3. newbie- I have an eye to doing this a bit differently but still ending up with a heart in the middle. That's okay, I hope!<br />
4. earlene - Hooray! I've been away from the challenges for too long, so am looking forward to this one.<br />
5. BattleGnome - which mold, which mold, which mold....<br />
6. Mx6inpenn - I haven't gotten a challenge submitted on time in ages, so I'm looking to break the streak!<br />
8. Isha- I'm excited will be my 1st entry. I've done one with just 2 colours m will give it a try with 3 colours this time

1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
8. Isha- I'm excited will be my 1st entry. I've done one with just 2 colours m will give it a try with 3 colours this time
9. SaltedFig - Hmmmm.

1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
9. SaltedFig - Hmmmm.
10. Soapprentice - Let’s figure this out!

1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
3. newbie- I have an eye to doing this a bit differently but still ending up with 1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
9. SaltedFig - Hmmmm.
11. Primrose - yep I'm in.

1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
3. newbie- I have an eye to doing this a bit differently but still ending up with 1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
9. SaltedFig - Hmmmm.
11. Primrose - yep I'm in.
12. jewels621 - I'll give a (s)whirl.

Back