Candle making troubles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javier

Havier
Reaction score
Hi there amazing candle brewers,

I've recently ran into a problem regarding my 100% soy candles. I've been using fragrance oils that have been set to 10% but it seems that every time i'm about to light my candle, i find water droplets gathering at the top of my candle. Please kindly advise me on what might be the problem and how to solve it.

Are you sure they're water droplets? Water shouldn't be involved with candle making, as it has no place, and doesn't mix with anything in the process.

Could they be oil droplets due to fragrance not incorporating with your wax? Are you using additives? I don't work with soy, but I know several people who are having problems with this years crops/batches of soy because of the new FDA GMO regulations, and are having to retest everything with varying (and not so great) results. Me personally, I never go above 6% FO in my applications, but I use paraffin and palm and more than that, is not needed (most of the time I can even use less).

What soy wax are you using? I know most suppliers say the wax can hold a large load of FO, but in reality when testing the actual amount is usually less.

I'm currently using advanced ecosoy as my wax and yes, they are oil droplets forming at the top of my candles. Should i decrease the percentage of fragrance oil i'm using, or is there another method to remedy the situation without affecting the scent of my candles?

I'm currently using advanced ecosoy as my wax and yes, they are oil droplets forming at the top of my candles. Should i decrease the percentage of fragrance oil i'm using, or is there another method to remedy the situation without affecting the scent of my candles?

It could be several reasons. Either too high a %, so I would try to drop that down to 8%, and maybe add it when the wax is at a higher temp, and make sure to fully stir it in before letting the wax cool to pouring temp, then pour.

I'd gently wipe the oil droplets out with a paper towel if you don't like the way it looks. Once the candle starts burning it won't make any difference anyway. I wouldn't decrease the fo amt as scent is the reason we buy candles.

I'd gently wipe the oil droplets out with a paper towel if you don't like the way it looks. Once the candle starts burning it won't make any difference anyway. I wouldn't decrease the fo amt as scent is the reason we buy candles.

It can make a difference. If there is too much FO and more than the wax can hold, it can ooze out, bead up and become a fire hazard. I've seen candles where the entire surface of the candle ignited because of too much FO seeping out of the wax. It's not pretty, and if it happens, especially to a consumer, that can spell trouble. Even with insurance, which should be in place before selling anyway.

Your supplier of the manufacturer should have info on the % of fo your particular can hold. I know my friend that has a candle supply business, teaches candlemaking and manufactures candles has told me the waxes has a max limit of fo/eo it can hold without seeping.

It can make a difference. If there is too much FO and more than the wax can hold, it can ooze out, bead up and become a fire hazard. I've seen candles where the entire surface of the candle ignited because of too much FO seeping out of the wax. It's not pretty, and if it happens, especially to a consumer, that can spell trouble. Even with insurance, which should be in place before selling anyway.

Definitely don't go over the mfg suggested amt of fo!!

Back