What Olive oil turns castile green?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwannasoap

Reaction score
Hello every one,
Four months ago I made some castile soap for the first time. I had read that certain kinds turn the soap green and I was really hoping for that. Obviously, I chose the wrong kind. One loaf is creamy beige (from the scent I used) and the other loaf is white.
I just don't know the difference between Extra virgin, Extra virgin organic, Refined A or Refined. Those are the choices from soapers choice but I don't know if any of these will do it.

I believe its either laurel oil or unfiltered OO that will turn soap green. Not sure if you can get unfiltered OO in the US but you can get laurel berry oil.

Gosh...mine is quite green. Like old pea soup green. I just used the "off" brand and on sale virgin olive oil. When i unmold it I can take a picture :) I did CP too...

Edit: Ooo...I have some bentonite clay in there too...it has a greenishness to it ...

Gosh...mine is quite green. Like old pea soup green. I just used the "off" brand and on sale virgin olive oil. When i unmold it I can take a picture :) I did CP too...

Edit: Ooo...I have some bentonite clay in there too...it has a greenishness to it ...

If it's an 'off' brand, it may not be pure olive oil and/or have coloring added to it, and that might also be contributing. I don't know of any good, easy way to determine if the oil has any additives like color.

I would love to see it! I'll put a picture of mine up to but I couldn't get that green color.

What is laurel berry oil?

Its oil from the laurel berry, sorry I don't know how else to answer that. Its a oil that is used along with OO in aleppo soap.
If you google aleppo soap, you'll see that its bright green inside with a tannish/yellow outside.

I've read about Aleppo soap one time. Will have to read it again. Have you ever used it or made it?

No, I've not but I really want to make some. Been waiting to see if the laurel oil would go down in price some.

Pomice won't give you green castile, its what I use and it makes a nice bright white bar. Unfiltered pomace from places like Italy or the middle east would probably be green enough. Its really opaque dark green, not at all like we have in the US.

Maybe contact a californian olive oil producer and see if they ever sell unfiltered.

This is what unfiltered looks like
olive-harvest-yield.jpg

OilVat-620x349.jpg

Its oil from the laurel berry, sorry I don't know how else to answer that. Its a oil that is used along with OO in aleppo soap.
If you google aleppo soap, you'll see that its bright green inside with a tannish/yellow outside.
Hi Obsidian:)
By the way - I get it now! concerning gel phase.
It all boils down to this analogy ~
"Heating the dirt will never turn into mud. You have to add water!".

No, I've not but I really want to make some. Been waiting to see if the laurel oil would go down in price some.

Pomice won't give you green castile, its what I use and it makes a nice bright white bar. Unfiltered pomace from places like Italy or the middle east would probably be green enough. Its really opaque dark green, not at all like we have in the US.

Maybe contact a californian olive oil producer and see if they ever sell unfiltered.

This is what unfiltered looks like
olive-harvest-yield.jpg

OilVat-620x349.jpg
That, my friend, is definitely green. I'm glad that you mentioned you've used Pomace. I was just going by that article.

Latest posts

Back