Face Soap Idea

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
This idea was a random shower-thought, so bear with me. It's early stages. ;)

What about a hot process charcoal and salt bar with 20% castor oil as the superfat? Could it be done? Should it be done?

I'm thinking of something like 70% coconut, 10% safflower HO, and 20% castor (reserved). Have to be hot process to keep the superfat to the end, of course. I'd think high water. Add my tea tree, peppermint, charcoal and castor, stir in the salt at around 1/3 to 1/2 batter weight and squish into molds.

What do you think? I've only done two hot process soap...could I even get salt and charcoal mixed in after saponification? If not and I add them at the beginning, would it be fluid enough to mix in the castor and EO's at the end?

I'm not sure, but I don't think only 80% oils will fully saponify through the cook, and it will be lye heavy until you add the extra 20% Castor Oil, and then you will just be at 100% with no sf after all.
Unless of course I am misunderstanding?

Also, I've only HP'd a soap that had 30% coconut oil. As fast as a 70-100% Coconut Oil CP soap sets up, I don't know what it would be like by HP'ing it.
However, I would think it could be done? Couldn't it?

I'm not sure, but I don't think only 80% oils will fully saponify through the cook, and it will be lye heavy until you add the extra 20% Castor Oil, and then you will just be at 100% with no sf after all.
Unless of course I am misunderstanding?

The nature of superfat - the way we do the calculation - means that what would be in the crock would be the right amount to saponify all the lye (ignoring purity).

I don't know if I would start with 20%, maybe try 10% first and see how it goes. Could you add the charcoal before the cook? Would definitely make it easier to thoroughly incorporate.

I have made salt bars HP, using 30-35% salt was workable. Use SL if you have it to help keep it fluid and as you mentioned, higher water.

Hmmm, sounds like an interesting experiment. I think the castor would keep the bar pretty sticky feeling though. It's such a heavy oil.

I've made charcoal brine bars and I do really like them for the face. They can be a bit drying though in my experience.

I'd probably SF with Avocado. Hemp oil is a universally well-tolerated oil when it comes to straight facial application, but it's too bad it has such a short shelf-life. If you don't care too much about shelf-life, it would be a nice SF option.

I like adding my charcoal right to my lye water to hydrate it before adding to the oils. I find it can suck moisture out like clay does and result in cracked soap. So adding it to water helps that.

Also, I've only HP'd a soap that had 30% coconut oil. As fast as a 70-100% Coconut Oil CP soap sets up, I don't know what it would be like by HP'ing it.
However, I would think it could be done? Couldn't it?

As an aside, I HP my 100% coconut oil laundry soap. It is done with a -1% superfat and includes vinegar to make 3% sodium acetate (if my calculations are correct). It behaves just like other soap I've HP'd before (i.e. shower bars with a mix of oils and 5% SF), except it seems to saponify faster. I pour it out onto large parchment-lined cookie sheets after it's cooked, and once it is cooled I grate it up and let it dry out for 6-8 weeks before grinding it up into a fine powder. It is totally workable, maybe due to the higher water content used for HP?

Brewer George, it's an interesting idea. I've seen blog posts floating around the internet for ways to use oil to cleanse one's face, and castor oil is a popular medium for that. Avocado oil sounds nice, too, although it has a higher comedogenic rating and might cause break-outs (I know it would for me).

I also agree that adding the charcoal up front would make it easier to incorporate thoroughly. I say give it a whirl!

I've seen blog posts floating around the internet for ways to use oil to cleanse one's face, and castor oil is a popular medium for that. Avocado oil sounds nice, too, although it has a higher comedogenic rating and might cause break-outs (I know it would for me).

I don't want to get into a big rant about comedogenic ratings BUUUT most websites are very unreliable as they're mainly based on studies from long ago that were done on rabbit ears, not humans. I believe there's a more recent study that was done on human's backs, testing a variety of cosmetic products and comparing their so-called comedogenic ratings vs the actual test results and they were completely off.

Anyway. People's skin react differently to all sorts of things, so it can be hard to pinpoint what might trigger acne for one person vs another.

I don't want to get into a big rant about comedogenic ratings BUUUT most websites are very unreliable as they're mainly based on studies from long ago that were done on rabbit ears, not humans. I believe there's a more recent study that was done on human's backs, testing a variety of cosmetic products and comparing their so-called comedogenic ratings vs the actual test results and they were completely off.

Anyway. People's skin react differently to all sorts of things, so it can be hard to pinpoint what might trigger acne for one person vs another.

All great points, toxikon, and it can be hard to wade through all the noise on the internet to get hard facts sometimes! But one hard fact is that the right skincare is so vastly different from person to person, and rarely is there a one-size-fits-all regiment. I know straight avocado oil, for instance, would disagree with my face in the most public of ways, but other's might get a youthful, healthy glow from it. :)

All great points, toxikon, and it can be hard to wade through all the noise on the internet to get hard facts sometimes! But one hard fact is that the right skincare is so vastly different from person to person, and rarely is there a one-size-fits-all regiment. I know straight avocado oil, for instance, would disagree with my face in the most public of ways, but other's might get a youthful, healthy glow from it. :)

Exactly! It's such a tricky thing to work through, especially if you have sensitive skin. Some people need to spend years pinpointing exactly what ingredient is upsetting their skin. There are definitely some oils that are more likely to set people off - seems like coconut oil is becoming a common one.

The nature of superfat - the way we do the calculation - means that what would be in the crock would be the right amount to saponify all the lye (ignoring purity).

Oh der!! LOL I knew that. I knew I had to be misunderstanding.

It's been a very (very) long week. (and I've only been at my day job this week since Wednesday!! LOL)

Brewer George, it's an interesting idea. I've seen blog posts floating around the internet for ways to use oil to cleanse one's face, and castor oil is a popular medium for that. Avocado oil sounds nice, too, although it has a higher comedogenic rating and might cause break-outs (I know it would for me).

Yep. Oil cleansing method is why I'm thinking of this. OCM works quite well for me, but it just doesn't fit into my lifestyle very well. I'm a "jump in the shower and wash my face" kind of guy and I can't break myself of it.

Yep. Oil cleansing method is why I'm thinking of this. OCM works quite well for me, but it just doesn't fit into my lifestyle very well. I'm a "jump in the shower and wash my face" kind of guy and I can't break myself of it.

Let us know if you try this and how it works. I also like the OCM with high castor content, but I can't stand the amount of time it takes to wipe the oil off.

I am curious why you would choose castor oil as the oil cleanser for you? (A curiosity question, not a criticism) ...

Plain Greek Yoghurt is also used as a face treatment.

You could add some plain greek yoghurt after the cook for fluidity.

I am curious why you would choose castor oil as the oil cleanser for you? (A curiosity question, not a criticism) ...

Castor is a high cleansing oil and it makes the skin soft. Personally, I don't like it for cleansing, it dries my skin.
I'm happy with plain avocado oil or cold cream.

Castor oil is considered a drying oil for the oil cleansing method. I *still* have oily skin and need a higher amount of cleansing.

Latest posts

Back