~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > SMF November Challenge Entry Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
Saponista

Liked 1266 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default SMF November Challenge Entry Thread

Please post your entry photos in this thread with information about your inspiration behind your design. Please keep nice comments and anything you want to say about the entries on the original challenge thread. This is for entries only.

Thanks for taking part!

Claire (Saponista)

Old 11-19-2017, 05:18 AM   #2
BattleGnome

Liked 721 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 899

My inspiration was a bit roundabout this month. I was inspired by a 1982 movie that was set in 1934 which had a song inspired by jazz, more specifically Julie Andrews singing “Le Jazz Hot”.

I tried to use m&p to try represent the glitter of her outfit and topped it with the diamonds in her choker.

Attached Thumbnails
31CA1E4F-AEB9-458D-A647-A3A0FDE4DF5E.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 11-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
mommycarlson
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 493 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 426

My inspiration was old velvet theater curtains. I don't know why, but that is what the theme made me think of. I wasn't sure how to show the contrast of the red theater curtains so I chose white. The FO (Barber Shop 1920's from CC) actually discolored to this antique white, which I found pretty fitting
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171110_094024725.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2329 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 2740

Both of my grandmothers were married in the 1920's, so early on I decided I wanted to do something related for this challenge. I have a picture from one of my grandma's wedding and did a little bit of research into the trends. Large bouquets with long trailing ribbons was the bee's knees, and that's the type of bouquet in the photo. I tried several times to represent the ribbons in the body of the soap, and the best attempt was a combination of a wall and ribbon pour (similar to Fraulein Winter's cosmic shimmy). My other grandmother eloped, so there are no pictures, but she carried an embroidered handkerchief, which she gave to her daughter to carry on her wedding day. When I got married, my aunt gave it to me. I then gave it to my daughter, who then gave it to my daughter in law. I hope someday there will be a little girl who will carry it on her wedding day. The soaps made to represent this are the rounds. Both of my grandmothers' favorite color was blue, so some of these are ivory and some are blue. I used a cake decorating brush embroidery technique to apply the flowers. I will be giving these soaps to my girls, and to my very special aunts.
Attached Thumbnails
Both.jpg   GrandmaE 1.jpg   GrandmaF 2.jpg   GrandmaF 1 .jpg   GrandmaE Wedding.jpg   hankie crop 1.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 11-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #5
Cindy2428
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 821 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Dibbles I think this challenge had your name written all over it. A beautiful story and soap to match. Thank-you for sharing
People Like This 
Old 11-21-2017, 06:05 AM   #6
cerelife

Liked 434 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 312

My first thought for this challenge was New Orleans Jazz / Louis Armstrong in the 1920’s, but as I was researching exactly how I wanted to showcase this idea, I came across an article mentioning that the renowned author Zora Neale Hurston was initiated into the Voodoo religion while in New Orleans during a five month stay in the 1920’s.
I was intrigued. I’ve loved Hurston’s novel “Their Eyes Were Watching God” ever since I read it many years ago, but I knew little about her other works - or of the woman behind the novel. As I dug a little deeper into her time in 1920’s New Orleans, I found myself both fascinated and disturbed by her accounts. But it was interesting enough to make me change my challenge soap from a focus on Jazz to a focus on Voodoo!
So my soap features Baron Samedi (and I apologize for the pictures - I couldn’t capture what the soap looks like in person - but you get the idea)!
Baron Samedi is considered one of the most powerful Loa in the Voodoo religion. He is usually depicted with a skull face, a Top Hat, and a cigar. And I staged my soap with the Baron’s preferred libation of Rum
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5681.JPG   FullSizeRender (21).jpg  
People Like This 
Old 11-21-2017, 06:10 AM   #7
cerelife

Liked 434 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 312

Sorry, I don't know why my pictures sometimes display sideways!!!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #8
artemis
Mostly Harmless

Liked 1175 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 174

I have been wanting to make a "fancy" soap for me, with Shea and cocoa butter and the last of my precious lilac FO, so I used this challenge for that purpose. I love 1920s decor. As I searched for examples, I kept seeing pictures of bathrooms. My favorite were tiled with green and white. So, I've decided that my soap is one that would be used in one of these bathrooms. Technically, the swirl itself looks more art nouveau than art deco, I suppose? Anyway, here it is as well as a compilation of pretty bathrooms: pixlr_20171117085450378.jpgIMG_20171117_090304-01.jpeg
People Like This 
Old 11-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #9
jewels621
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 631

This soap had to grow on me, but I like the way the colors and scent have developed. This challenge was so wide open...so many possibilities! It's a good thing I only had time for one batch this month or my house would be overrun with 1920's soap. My inspiration was a random picture off the internet that just kept catching my eye. It's my standard lard recipe scented with Havana from Saffire Blue. I chose this FO for its smoky, stuck-in-time scent. I used plain old poster board to make dividers for my cylinder mold.

I'm having issues posting more than one picture per post....every time I try, my reply disappears, so I'm going to post each picture in a separate post as this is the fifth time I've had to retype this. Argghh! And sorry!

People Like This 
Old 11-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
jewels621
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 631

People Like This