~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > November 2017 - 1920's Theme Challenge

Old 11-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
Saponista

Liked 1266 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default November 2017 - 1920's Theme Challenge

Just to let you know that my example soap and video are coming, but due to my digital ineptitude I can't get it to work. My hubby is away working this week so I will upload it when he is home to help me. Sorry guys! You don't really need my example anyway as your soap design is your own choice, so at least now you can get started on some ideas!

Welcome to November’s 2017 SMF Soap Challenge!

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules)-

General Rules:
1. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

NOW
This month’s challenge is to create a soap inspired by something from the 1920’s. You can choose anything from that era that inspires you, architecture, art, fashion, you name it, as long as it occurred in the 1920’s and you can show us how it relates to your soap then you can enter. It can be as simple as picking some colours from your favourite piece of art or something much more complex. I chose this era as I think there are a tons of possible inspirations, the egyptian revival (I would have made a soap like this had I had more time to play!) Ceramic artists like Clarice cliffe. Charles Rennie Mackintosh, lots of cool fashion ideas like flapper dresses. In the end I went with Art Deco as I love the geometric designs and the classic black white and grey shades.

SMF Challenge Specific Rules
∑ You may use any mould for this design.
∑ You may use any number of colours.
∑ You may use any technique that you like as long as you show how the 1920’s inspired your final design.

The design doesn't have to be cold process, melt and pour makers are also encouraged to participate,

*If you are unsure whether or not your design falls in line with the rules, please ask immediately so that you have enough time to make a soap. You can pm me or ask on the thread.

Challenge Entry Thread Opens November 17, 2017.
Challenge Entry Thread Closes November 26, 2017.
Survey for choosing the winning choices opens immediately the 26th.
Winners Announced November 30th, 2017.

SMF Challenge General Rules
∑ To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
∑ Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
∑ The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
∑ Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
∑ Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on November 17, 2017 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)
∑ After the closing date November 26, 2017 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on November 30, 2017. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
∑ If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
∑ Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
∑ Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for for voting.

Attached Thumbnails
Art Deco Soap.jpg  

Last edited by Saponista; 11-02-2017 at 01:36 PM.
People Like This 
Old 11-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
Saponista

Liked 1266 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Old 11-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2329 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 2739

1. dibbles - Oooh, love this idea!

Old 11-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
toxikon
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1397 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 591

2. toxikon - Some of my favourite artists are from the 20s, this will be a blast!

Old 11-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
jewels621
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 628

2. toxikon - Some of my favourite artists are from the 20s, this will be a blast!
3. jewels621 - such an interesting idea!

Old 11-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #6
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1205 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 735

4. Kittish - This should be interesting. I don't know much about the 20s. Google to the rescue!

Edit to add: Ah ha! I think I've found my inspiration. Salvador Dali! He produced several well known pieces in the 1920s, including Sandia and Fish with Red Bowl (I haven't decided yet which of those I'll be working from).

Last edited by Kittish; 11-01-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #7
Primrose

Liked 113 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 76

4. Kittish - This should be interesting. I don't know much about the 20s. Google to the rescue!
5. Primrose - I'm in. This is a whole lot harder than last month but I am a sucker for 20's fashion

Last edited by Primrose; 11-02-2017 at 12:01 AM. Reason: because I'm a doofus and forgot to include the rest of the signup list

Old 11-02-2017, 02:02 AM   #8
CaraBou

Liked 2479 Times on 1149 Posts
Likes Given: 1843

5. Primrose - I'm in. This is a whole lot harder than last month but I am a sucker for 20's fashion
6. Great. I was gonna take the month off!

Old 11-02-2017, 02:15 AM   #9
jules92207

Liked 1592 Times on 1040 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Default November 2017 - 1920's Theme Challenge

7. Jules92207 - Youíre killing me smalls, so many ideas!

Old 11-02-2017, 02:48 AM   #10
BattleGnome

Liked 721 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 899

7. Jules92207 - You’re killing me smalls, so many ideas!
8. BattleGnome - crossing my fingers that I’ll have the time this month