November 2017 - 1920's Theme Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponista

Reaction score
Just to let you know that my example soap and video are coming, but due to my digital ineptitude I can't get it to work. My hubby is away working this week so I will upload it when he is home to help me. Sorry guys! You don't really need my example anyway as your soap design is your own choice, so at least now you can get started on some ideas! :)

Welcome to November’s 2017 SMF Soap Challenge!

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules)-

General Rules:
1. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

NOW
This month’s challenge is to create a soap inspired by something from the 1920’s. You can choose anything from that era that inspires you, architecture, art, fashion, you name it, as long as it occurred in the 1920’s and you can show us how it relates to your soap then you can enter. It can be as simple as picking some colours from your favourite piece of art or something much more complex. I chose this era as I think there are a tons of possible inspirations, the egyptian revival (I would have made a soap like this had I had more time to play!) Ceramic artists like Clarice cliffe. Charles Rennie Mackintosh, lots of cool fashion ideas like flapper dresses. In the end I went with Art Deco as I love the geometric designs and the classic black white and grey shades.

SMF Challenge Specific Rules
· You may use any mould for this design.
· You may use any number of colours.
· You may use any technique that you like as long as you show how the 1920’s inspired your final design.

The design doesn't have to be cold process, melt and pour makers are also encouraged to participate,

*If you are unsure whether or not your design falls in line with the rules, please ask immediately so that you have enough time to make a soap. You can pm me or ask on the thread.

Challenge Entry Thread Opens November 17, 2017.
Challenge Entry Thread Closes November 26, 2017.
Survey for choosing the winning choices opens immediately the 26th.
Winners Announced November 30th, 2017.

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on November 17, 2017 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)
· After the closing date November 26, 2017 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on November 30, 2017. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for for voting.

Art Deco Soap.jpg

Last edited:

1. dibbles - Oooh, love this idea!
2. toxikon - Some of my favourite artists are from the 20s, this will be a blast!
3. jewels621 - such an interesting idea!
4. Kittish - This should be interesting. I don't know much about the 20s. Google to the rescue!

Edit to add: Ah ha! I think I've found my inspiration. Salvador Dali! He produced several well known pieces in the 1920s, including Sandia and Fish with Red Bowl (I haven't decided yet which of those I'll be working from).

Last edited:
2. toxikon - Some of my favourite artists are from the 20s, this will be a blast!
4. Kittish - This should be interesting. I don't know much about the 20s. Google to the rescue!
5. Primrose - I'm in. This is a whole lot harder than last month but I am a sucker for 20's fashion

Last edited:
5. Primrose - I'm in. This is a whole lot harder than last month but I am a sucker for 20's fashion
6. Great. I was gonna take the month off!

7. Jules92207 - You’re killing me smalls, so many ideas!

8. BattleGnome - crossing my fingers that I’ll have the time this month

6. CaraBou - Great. I was gonna take the month off!
9. SaltedFig - Copacetic!

8. SoapAddict415-The last 1 was so much fun, count me in again!

Last edited:

8. SoapAddict415-The last 1 was so much fun, count me in again!

9. Cerelife - Interesting...I'm in!

mmm not sure about this one. Need to see the video first.

Also I am not getting any notifications .... anyone else?

There ... that's better!

6. CaraBou - Great. I was gonna take the month off!
9. SaltedFig - Copacetic!
10. SoapAddict415-The last 1 was so much fun, count me in again!
11. Cerelife - Interesting...I'm in!

mmm not sure about this one. Need to see the video first.

Also I am not getting any notifications .... anyone else?

I still Don't have the video, but have added a picture of my soap so you can see the general idea. Hope that helps a little. It doesn't have to be complicated as you can see from mine and it could be as simple as a colour scheme from a piece of artwork that inspires you or as complicated as a scale model of the empire state building (not sure what year that was built but it's very art deco). If you need any help or advice then feel free to PM me. :)

Ok, so I thought I knew what I wanted to do for this challenge, but while doing my research, I got sidetracked into something that I found much more intriguing. Still completely relates to the 1920s, but I'll pretty much have to tell a story to set the stage for my soap. Is this cool?

Ok, so I thought I knew what I wanted to do for this challenge, but while doing my research, I got sidetracked into something that I found much more intriguing. Still completely relates to the 1920s, but I'll pretty much have to tell a story to set the stage for my soap. Is this cool?

Yes of course, that sounds exciting!

I still Don't have the video, but have added a picture of my soap so you can see the general idea. Hope that helps a little. It doesn't have to be complicated as you can see from mine and it could be as simple as a colour scheme from a piece of artwork that inspires you or as complicated as a scale model of the empire state building (not sure what year that was built but it's very art deco). If you need any help or advice then feel free to PM me. :)

Thank you so much! The picture is cool, I might just make something.

.... I am still not getting notifications ????

Back