Getting into Bottles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to put lotion in 4 oz bottles and it got too thick before I poured it. I tried many ways but finally ended up putting the lotion in a zip lock bag and cutting a small hole in one end and squeezed it into bottles. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I can actually pour my lotion as long as it stays at or a bit above 110 F (43 C). This temp varies a bit depending on the recipe. To be successful, you have to use a good continuous read thermocouple and watch the temp like a hawk. I add the preservative and other heat sensitive ingredients at their max temp (120 F for my preservative), and then immediately leap into action to get the lotion bottled.

Below that temp, I have to do what you do -- scrape it into a plastic bag, snip off a corner, and squeeze it into the bottles.

The next step up is to buy a bottling machine, and that's way too spendy for this hobbyist.

My preservative also needs to be added at below 120F. Once it's in (along with any other heat-sensitive ingredients), I start bottling. I bought a Wilton Easy-Pour Funnel on a whim and it works great for bottling lotion--so long as the lotion is still warm and thin. If the lotion cools and thickens too much, the funnel will still work, but it will take forever to fill a bottle.

I hate messing with decorating bags.:headbanging:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Accu-pour pitchers for lotions and soap making. They have very sharply pointed spouts so you can pour easily into small mouth containers without drips. The 32 oz (1 liter) size is tall and narrow -- just the right shape and size to use a stick blender for mixing a 500 mL batch. The next size down (16 oz, 500 mL) is good for smaller batches. They are made of heavy polypropylene so they're safe for mixing lye solution as well.

https://www.gemplers.com/product/160340/Accu-Pour-32-Oz-Food-Grade-Polypropylene-Measuring-Pitcher

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like DeeAnna and I use silicone funnel for it, as soon as I add my preservative I pour it, then leave open bottles (covered by paper towels) till next day so there is not condensation
the filling machines are son of a gun to clean it, I make max 1000 grams at once so it is not worth the money and the waste

My two main lotions are just to thick to pour. I am sure they are pesky to clean, I will just have to get the hubby into taking it apart and cleaning it. :) I make big messes trying to get the darn lotion in the piping bags. Now I am on such time constraints I have to have something to help speed up.

I make 1000 - 1800 gram batches in an 8-cup Pyrex -- works well for putting in an ice water bath for a quick cool down, before and after adding preservative. Then I pour into a gallon ZipLoc bag.

Ahead of time, I set the bag into a re-purposed one-and-a-half gallon empty white vinegar bottle. I turn the top of the ZipLoc down over the rim of the bottle -- high tech, I know. LOL Fits perfectly. I have other similar re-purposed containers to hold quart-size ZipLocs for smaller batches. I zip it up, leaving an opening for condensation to escape, and allow it to cool to room temp for about an hour before bottling up. I carefully snip the corner so the opening isn't too big, and squeeze.

I think it's all about finding what works best for you. For me, I've been doing it this way for so long, I can't imagine using anything other than the ZipLocs. Cost effective, environmentally conscious, quick and easy, with no mess to clean up. I wash the ZipLoc and reuse it (NOT for lotion tho. haha)

Back