98% lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don187

Reaction score
hi , i dont know if you guys saw my previous thread about finding lye in Saudi Arabia , i am glad to tell you that i found 98% lye and the other 2% is water?

is that okay to use? i believe its the only one in the market ?

thank you in advance guys ! :)

Yes, it's fine. There is no such thing as 100% NaOH with zero impurities. NaOH always has some impurities due to its ability to very quickly react with water and carbon dioxide in the air. Water and sodium carbonate are the main impurities found in NaOH. As you use the NaOH, these impurities will increase every time you open the container and allow room air to enter.

For those reading this, please do not confuse impurities with additives --

Don's NaOH is 100% NaOH in the sense that no one has intentionally added something else to the NaOH to turn it into another kind of product. As I've just explained, NaOH naturally contains some % of impurities. But no one has deliberately added, for example, aluminum particles and colorant to turn it into a drain cleaner.

Another example -- the water you drink is 100% water, but it naturally contains impurities that normally are dissolved in water that comes from wells or lakes and rivers. If you add sugar and flavoring to that water, you no longer have 100% water. You have a sweetened drink.

Yes, it's fine. There is no such thing as 100% NaOH with zero impurities. NaOH always has some impurities due to its ability to very quickly react with water and carbon dioxide in the air. Water and sodium carbonate are the main impurities found in NaOH. As you use the NaOH, these impurities will increase every time you open the container and allow room air to enter.

For those reading this, please do not confuse impurities with additives --

Don's NaOH is 100% NaOH in the sense that no one has intentionally added something else to the NaOH to turn it into another kind of product. As I've just explained, NaOH naturally contains some % of impurities. But no one has deliberately added, for example, aluminum particles and colorant to turn it into a drain cleaner.

Another example -- the water you drink is 100% water, but it naturally contains impurities that normally are dissolved in water that comes from wells or lakes and rivers. If you add sugar and flavoring to that water, you no longer have 100% water. You have a sweetened drink.

OMG thank you so much , i will use it and see how it goes !!

Oh, yes. I was just a little confused when you mentioned "2% water." I saw "water" and forgot to read the 2% part. That's all. The one I use is teeny tiny pellets sold as a drain opener.

yeah man lol , just a quick question i was thinking is every drain opener made of lye ?

No.... some, I think don't have lye at all. Sometimes you see one with SOME lye and a bunch of other things. I read a blog post, once, that explained how to purify your drain cleaner to gey lye for soaping, but that is not something I care to olay around with!

No.... some, I think don't have lye at all. Sometimes you see one with SOME lye and a bunch of other things. I read a blog post, once, that explained how to purify your drain cleaner to gey lye for soaping, but that is not something I care to olay around with!

ahh okay i see you , thank you a lot

Back