shampoo bars...again

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
So I know the general consensus on board is shampoo bars are bad for hair. I had my own issues with damaged hair from using them so I know the risks.

I have a skin condition on my scalp, normally medicated shampoos will get it under control but they aren't working anymore. I'm loosing hair and its not really growing either.

I absolutely need to get my scalp healthy and my scalp really liked shampoo bars. Previously I used Genny's recipe and quite liked it but I'm interested in trying different recipes this time, ones without butters in the hops of reducing film.

Does anyone have recipes they really like? preferably one with a bit higher cleansing then the genny bar? getting my scalp really clean and drying the skin out some would be helpful.

I've ordered some samples from a very popular company but its weird ordering soap.

I am not trying to prescribe Obsidian, but have you tried the Nioxin Products? They have several systems available so you might find one that helps. The one I use is the Recovery Set. It comes with a Scalp Recovery Serum that really helps my scalp. It is the one for dandruff, and although I do not have dandruff it helps my itching from eczema flares and promotes healing of spots I have scratched to bleeding. They are not inexpensive, and I think you may have to get them from a salon, but not real sure since I purchase from a Professional Supply house. If the peroidic use of my salts bars does not help this is where I turn. The Recovery system contains 0.25% pyrithione zinc. I am just not afraid to use something that helps. Pyrithione is my friend when I have clawed my scalp to bleeding...

Hope you find something that helps. At the end of the day the scalp needs to be treated before worrying about the hair. If the scalp is not healthy the hair will not be healthy and sometimes have to turn to commercial products. Damaged hair can be cut off but the scalp cannot, as we all know :)

What scalp problem do you have? I know that you know all the odd things lye shampoo bar can do to your hair, so I won't repeat

I remember some thread that Zany in CO replied she used polysorbate 80 ( I think, or 60 ) on her hair. It's an emulsifier so will get the sebum and dirt out of your scalp and hair.
Hope she'll chime in later. And you get your scalp in control. ;)

ETA: oh and what medicated shampoo did you use? Tar based ones or the med ones like Carolyn mentioned?

I have seborrheic dermatitis which is a fungal issue. I have to use prescription antifungal shampoo. Zinc and tar do not help at all.

When I used shampoo bars before, I only had a couple flares a year. Now it's almost constant.

I've not used nioxin, it not a recommend treatment for SD.

When I was my hair with soap I use a ca rinse. I happen to use the batch of facial toner which has tea tree in there - I wonder if some antifungal eos might help.

I only offer this advice as I know obsidian is tres sensible and not likely to massage pure tea tree in to her scalp. Use all eos with great care!

Also, please check with your doc and ask for a thyroid test. Lots of "skin conditions" and losing hair (and a boat load of other things) could be caused by underactive thyroid (Hypothyroid).

When I was my hair with soap I use a ca rinse. I happen to use the batch of facial toner which has tea tree in there - I wonder if some antifungal eos might help.

I only offer this advice as I know obsidian is tres sensible and not likely to massage pure tea tree in to her scalp. Use all eos with great care!

actually, I have used pure tea tree on my scalp a couple of times lol. It didn't really help

Gini, great advice. Doctors care should always be the first go to. I do have low thyroid, been on meds for years for it. Its minor and is under control.

I have seborrheic dermatitis which is a fungal issue. I have to use prescription antifungal shampoo. Zinc and tar do not help at all.

When I used shampoo bars before, I only had a couple flares a year. Now it's almost constant.

I've not used nioxin, it not a recommend treatment for SD.
Zinc pyrithione is one of the recommended ingredients for treatment of SD. SD is also known as cradle cap in children and is a type of eczema. So finding the magic bullet is going to be quite individualized. Cortisone ointments are at times used as well as anti fungal by mouth. I would think more than anything is to find the right dermatologist and not all are created equal

Dermatologists are terrible around here but I did manage to get some steroid lotion from one. It really helps with stubborn spots.

I've been fighting SD for years now and was doing really well with prescription strength selenium sulfide shampoo but my insurance won't cover the cost anymore and at $300 for a 8oz bottle, I can't afford it myself.

I'll give shampoo bars a chance for a couple months, see how it does with that. I'll go back to the derm if I have to but they seem clueless about how to really treat me.

I've recently cut my hair into a pixie so now is the perfect time to use shampoo bars. Not a lot of hair to damage.

I've recently cut my hair into a pixie so now is the perfect time to use shampoo bars. Not a lot of hair to damage.

Sorry you're not getting good help from your dermatologist.

I really liked how the shampoo bars and ACV rinse worked with my scalp and very short haircut, too. I'm trying to grow my hair out but getting impatient and it's not even to my jaw line yet.

I washed with one of my bars today, followed up with a vinegar rinse. My scalp already feels better, no itches or bumps though I still do have the granular bits I get when a flare is starting. I suspect those will be gone with a couple more washes.

My scalp feels absolutely clean, the last month no amount of shampoo has been able to completely clean the gunk of my scalp. It feels really nice to have that build up gone, my hair is shiny and feels fuller.

I really want to grow my hair long but if it comes down to healthy scalp and long hair, healthy scalp will win. Last time I had shampoo bars trash my hair, I was using chemical hair dye. I'm not using chemicals now, only henna powder so I suspect I should have better luck this time. Henna makes your hair dang tough, I like to call it teflon hair.

So I've been researching shampoo recipes across the net, on youtube and looking at popular companies. Seems most all of them have a lot of coconut, 25% or more. The most popular brand on the hair forum I go to, has coconut as the first ingredient. Its so cleansing that it dries my hands out but makes my hair feel really nice.
Not too sure my scalp likes that much CO though. Its getting itchy and oily by the next day, with my mild bars I can go three days before I have to wash again.

I'm going to try a middle of the road recipe. More coconut than the popular genny recipe but not near as much as google recipes have. I'm also doing away with the shea in hopes it won't be such a heavy, coating soap. Adding a lot of neem for scalp health, even thinking about doing HP so I can use neem for my SF.
This is what I've came up with so far, opinions?
http://www.evernote.com/l/ANjrZ1Gd0h5ImahI-zUb5SPcVsUAIrbh8MU/

I will probably also try a 25% coconut just to test but it might only be a bar or two.

This is what I've came up with so far, opinions?

The 10% castor would be too much for my hair. I tried it once and it felt ‘draggy.’ Otherwise I'm looking forward to hearing your results.

Just putting my 2¢ in here, have you had an allergy test? My itching scalp issues (& a few other issues) pretty much vanished after I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy. I hope you're able to find relief soon.

I'm already using 10% castor and my bars aren't draggy. I found another recipe that actually has 25% castor, that seems like a lot to me but I might try it too. Sooner or later I'll find a good recipe.

Its not allergies, its seborrheic dermatitis which is a fungal issue. It flares up when my scalp gets oily or is exposed to silicones which most conventional shampoo and conditioner contain.
I have to keep my scalp very clean and dried out, thats one reason I want to increase the coconut in my shampoo bar.

I've been fighting SD for years now and was doing really well with prescription strength selenium sulfide shampoo but my insurance won't cover the cost anymore and at $300 for a 8oz bottle, I can't afford it myself.

Just a thought, not knowing if you have this is available to you where you are.

A Compounding Chemist (a Pharmacist that makes prescription drugs in-house) might be able to help you with the Selenium Disulphide shampoo/lotion.

The ingredient is expensive, but you won't need much at all and you could get a lot of control over the base it is put into.

Fingers crossed you can find a friendly pharmacist to help (a good one can be invaluable).

A pharmacist can't help unless I have a prescription. We can only get 1% selenium sulfide over the counter in the US and thats not strong enough to really help.
So far the shampoo bars are working great. I've been mostly itch free for the last few days and I don't have anymore scabby spots.

A pharmacist can't help unless I have a prescription. We can only get 1% selenium sulfide over the counter in the US and thats not strong enough to really help.

Once you've got the script, are you allowed to get a generic version? This could allow the pharmacist to formulate it (here, not sure about yours of course).

So far the shampoo bars are working great. I've been mostly itch free for the last few days and I don't have anymore scabby spots.

That's awesome!

Yeah, I can get generic but I'm not sure a pharmacist can make a compound unless its specifically ordered. I can check into it though, would be great if I could get the meds mixed into a shampoo I know my scalp tolerates.

I remember some thread that Zany in CO replied she used polysorbate 80 ( I think, or 60 ) on her hair. It's an emulsifier so will get the sebum and dirt out of your scalp and hair.
Hope she'll chime in later. And you get your scalp in control. ;)
Yes! I've often recommended polysorbate 80 for scalp issues. Pour a tablespoon or so into a saucer. Using dry hands apply to a dry scalp, working from the hairline to the crown. Work it into the hair, including the ends. Don't use any water until you're ready to rinse. Add enough water to work the hair into a bit of a lather, gently massage the scalp all over, and then just rinse clean. Leaves hair soft and shiny.

Polysorbate 80 can be used for cleansing the hair between shampoos, or as a clarifier before shampooing. Used alone, it cleanses the hair and scalp and rinses clean. Mixed 50/50 with any carrier oil like olive, almond, avocado, flaxseed, borage, etc. you can cover with a shower cap and leave it on for 30 minutes or so while you do other things and then add water, give the scalp a massage, and rinse clean.

Latest posts

Back