Bugs in my Shea Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midwitch

Reaction score
So I got 5lbs of Shea butter from essential Depot.....and all 5lbs are speckled with little bug parts or whole bugs. I am so mad right now. This is actually my second 5lb brick, and the first one was fine. The bag it came in was intact. I put it inside an empty (clean) 5 gallon jug as soon as I got so it has been sealed. Has anyone else had a problem with this? I love unrefined Shea in my soap....guess the price was too good to be true.

So I got 5lbs of Shea butter from essential Depot.....and all 5lbs are speckled with little bug parts or whole bugs. I am so mad right now. This is actually my second 5lb brick, and the first one was fine. The bag it came in was intact. I put it inside an empty (clean) 5 gallon jug as soon as I got so it has been sealed. Has anyone else had a problem with this? I love unrefined Shea in my soap....guess the price was too good to be true.

Unrefined shea butter from any source can have fleas as well as twigs etc.

That's why I buy refined shea butter and it's cheaper too.

Last edited:

wow-awful! I buy shea butter from them and have never had a problem - so far!

I will contact the company immediately. I am aware that Shea butter attracts ants especially. It might probably be during transit. By the way it is not true that unrefined Shea from any source is full of bugs.

Grace

I will contact the company immediately. I am aware that Shea butter attracts ants especially. It might probably be during transit. By the way it is not true that unrefined Shea from any source is full of bugs.

Grace
It not un-common for unrefined shea to contain some plant material and a bug/bugs at times. I will usually find a cricket, and a chili pepper or two in my 25# blocks of un-refined shea. Fleas I have not seen but I am quite sure they are possible also.

If yours has a lot of bugs I would definitely call and complain. What I purchase I cannot call and complain because it comes from a person that imports it in from Ghana, so i get what I get, but it has never been filled with bugs.

I will try heating and straining out the "bits"......just feels gross. I'll never buy from them again. It has been over a month since I purchased the Shea. I think contacting them would be futile.

I will try heating and straining out the "bits"......just feels gross. I'll never buy from them again. It has been over a month since I purchased the Shea. I think contacting them would be futile.

I use nylon paint strainer bags to strain crushed honey comb to remove wax chunks and bee parts. While I've also made bags from sheer curtains purchased at second-hand stores, the paint bags are inexpensive and easy. Maybe it would work on shea butter.

Latest posts

Back