thin lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svbcaz

Reaction score
I have been making soap and lotion for nearly 20 years but suddenly my last two batches of lotion have been like water. I can not get them to thicken no matter what I do. Can Stearic Acid go bad? I cant think of anything else that could have happened.

Without more information, we can't help. YOU know what you did, but all we know at this point is that your recipe probably has stearic acid in it. That's not much to go on, so give more details about your recipe and your method, please. And why do you think the stearic acid is the problem?

Stearic acid has a long shelf life, There is a thousand things that can go wrong in lotion. I make them for so many years and had a fail not long ago

I cant think of anything that I have changed. I am always tweaking the oils I use a tiny bit but have never had 2 fails in a row. Its the stearic acid that thickens it all, right??
I may have to try another brand. I think the one I have is new and I have only used it in these last two batches.

I cant think of anything that I have changed. I am always tweaking the oils I use a tiny bit but have never had 2 fails in a row. Its the stearic acid that thickens it all, right??
I may have to try another brand. I think the one I have is new and I have only used it in these last two batches.

IT is both the stearic acid and the emulsifier that thickens the lotion. Also solid oils like cocoa butter or shea butter can help thicken.

Like Deeanna said, if you don't tell us the ingredients and go thru your process step by step there is no way for us to point out what happened.

Do you heat and hold? If so for how long? Do you use an immersion blender to mix everything? How long do you mix? How old are your ingredients?

Did you change your emulsifier or oil percentage, cut out a butter etc? on. As for your stearic acid it has a very long shelf life if kept in a cool dry location. I recently used some stearic that is over, at least, 8 yrs old and it was just fine. It was included a a batch of destash supplies. Sorry none of use can blindly help, we need all the details including temps.

I cant think of anything that I have changed. I am always tweaking the oils I use a tiny bit but have never had 2 fails in a row. Its the stearic acid that thickens it all, right?? I may have to try another brand. I think the one I have is new and I have only used it in these last two batches.
??? Recipe please. :neutral:

Hellloooo??? You've had several polite requests for your method and recipe. You gotta work with us here.

This is crazy there is not recipe someone else is not making, There is only so much you can do with lotion :)) I find it naive to ask for help and not to give the complete formula, maybe next lotion will not fail. BTW I had never tried nice lotion with stearic acid, except thick foot lotion

:evil:

Guys, we need to calm down - this is a new person - and they might not be sitting online waiting to receive our collected wisdom. Give them 24 hours or so to respond again.

I will agree here.

This is crazy there is not recipe someone else is not making, There is only so much you can do with lotion :)) I find it naive to ask for help and not to give the complete formula, maybe next lotion will not fail. BTW I had never tried nice lotion with stearic acid, except thick foot lotion

:evil:

I want to give stearic acid one more shot. I need light oils and I'm thinking 80% water. Nut oils are still not an option.

I might copy it....for some reason all my lotions recently have turned into cream consistency...lol

I know why though. I have been playing with cetyl alcohol.....fluffy glidy goodness.

I might copy it....for some reason all my lotions recently have turned into cream consistency...lol

I know why though. I have been playing with cetyl alcohol.....fluffy glidy goodness.
Do you use any butters in your recipes? I only ask because even my spray on lotion has cetyl alcohol. For a thin lotion I find the emulsifier makes a big difference, and butters make a difference between a thin and thick lotion. My lotions never get butters only my emulsified butter type lotions contain any butters.

I have to agree with Dahila, I only use and like Stearic Acid in my very thick lotions, not in any of my light lotions
I agree with Carolyn and Dahila. I only use stearic acid in creams -- and lotion for the feet. My basic HLB lotion formula contains 2% butter, 10% oils. The Ewax NF I use contains cetyl alcohol, so I don't add any to that.

It's all good! :)

ETA: Oopsie. I got cornfused. My Ewax NF from Lotion Crafter - INCI: Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Polysorbate 60

Cmzaha, try cetyl esters for your spray on lotion, You going to tell me that it works perfectly, For spray on I would use Lotionpro 165 and cetyl esters, :) I use stearic in syndet shampoo bar
Most of my lotions at lest the facial ones, do not contain butters
I am with Cmzaha all the way :bunny:

Last edited:
I think the cetyl just made it more fluffy than thick. I added dimethicone and cyclomethicone and that fixed the problem. I love the end result I have now. Part of the fun is trial and error and trial again.

Cmzaha, try cetyl esters for your spray on lotion, You going to tell me that it works perfectly, For spray on I would use Lotionpro 165 and cetyl esters, :) I use stearic in syndet shampoo bar
Most of my lotions at lest the facial ones, do not contain any butters
I am with Cmzaha all the way :bunny:
I will definetly try cetyl esters in my spray lotion. As for Lotionpro the emulsifiers I used were the same as Lotionpro 165 which I later found out. I have a shelf full of different emulsifiers and it was a combo I tried and like. Later I discovered it was the same ingredients as the Lotionpro 165. I am not trying to say my percentages were the same but it worked out very nice. I also use stearic acid in my shampoo bar (syndet), because it was the only way I could keep them from mushing up

Back