FIRST soap made ever - can't smell when washing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesoaps

Reaction score
So I made my first Ever melt and pour soap, since I'm just starting out. Complete new soap maker here, I ordered a 2lb block on amazon. It is shea butter melt and pour. It feels alright with the stuff I added and I added a chocolate scent. It smells amazing when it was fully hardened but when I cut a sliver off of the bar, I couldn't smell the chocolate essential oil I used after I rinsed my hands. The dry bar itself smells great, but I thought it would leave my hands smelling the same way... am I wrong? Does it only have an outer scent?

Thanks and sorry I'm completely new to soap and this forum. Thank you for help:)

Welcome to the forum. :bunny: Very few scents will linger whether cp or m&p soaps, after all they are wash off products. What percentage did you fragrance your soap? My daughter always fragrance in the 5% range, but it can depend on the brand of m&p. Usually the manufacturer of the m&p base can give you the max fragrance the particular base will hold. Where did you get the Chocolate fragrance you used? I do not know of a chocolate eo but there is Chocolate Absolute which is very pricey.

Hello all Empress Maat here I seem to have come into that same scenario. However when you say use 5% of the fragrance to the soap base I do not understand? If I have one pound of M/P soap base how do I factor in the 5% I would like when I pick up the bar I can smell the fragrance, as well as after or during the shower. Thanks Bunni for asking the question.

Most scents in soap do not linger long after bathing. Also as the bar ages, the scent on the surface will always fade. Scent from a soap is going to be the most obvious while bathing.

16 ounces of soap base X 5 / 100 = 0.8 ounces fragrance

correct nothing stays on skin, but clean skin scent is the most beautiful. I love the option of scent not staying on skin so it does not interact with other products I apply ;) or my perfume

Latest posts

Back