~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > SMF August Challenge -Rock and Gem Soap

Old 08-02-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
galaxyMLP
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1300 Times on 774 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Default SMF August Challenge -Rock and Gem Soap

Welcome to July’s SMF Soap Challenge!

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules)-

General Rules:
1.The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This months voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

NOW
This month’s challenge goal is to create a rock, gemstone, or pebble soap.

I had some major technical difficulties this month. My computer died and with it, died windows movie maker. I decided to try to use my phone to capture the video because I couldn't find my normal camera either. On top of that, I couldn't find a software to edit the videos on the phone itself. Some of the videos are also upside down. But, I figured it out eventually. Thank you are for your patience with me.

This month is a design challenge month. You may use any technique to make this soap. This includes but is not limited to: Cold Process, Hot Process, Melt and Pour, soap carving, jelly soap, soap dough, a blend of any of those processes, ect.

The only real rule is that your soap must resemble a real rock, pebble or gemstone. For example, although my soap does not follow a specific picture of one, it is clearly an amethyst. You must let us know what stone inspired you for your challenge. I hope to see a huge variety in this challenge!

Video 1:
Making the amethyst soap. I did a poor job editing this video together as it was about 5-6 different videos and I'm still learning the new software. If you guys want me to post each one individually to the youtube channel I can do that. Really, all this video shows is me pouring the melt and pour soap in a gradient pattern. I add a cap to the soap to block the flow when I'm pouring the next layer of dark soap.

https://youtu.be/ykeUK4lvsEQ

Video 2:
Cutting of the amethyst soap. This took 35 minutes to do. I rinsed the soap with water after I cut it to get the smooth look in the pictures.

https://youtu.be/OQppUKXtTC0

Video 3:
Cutting of the Yellow jasper soap. Yellow jasper can sometimes have green veins to it so that is what it is modeled after. This soap was originally made for the spin swirl challenge over a year ago. The batter was too thin and I thought it looked like stone. I cut it out to resemble a tumbled piece of yellow jasper.

https://youtu.be/CiidQfzBw4M

Finished soaps:

SMF Challenge Specific Rules
∑ You must create a rock, gemstone, or pebble soap for this challenge.

∑ Your design must be modeled after a real or existing stone, gemstone or rock.

∑ It does not need to match an existing picture of one although you may feel free to do so.

∑ You may use any ingredients or techniques into this soap.

For the entry thread
  • For soaps that have been carved: you must show a "before" carved picture (or video) and a picture after carving.
  • All other soaps only need the finished picture. Feel free to tell us about your process.

Challenge Entry Thread Opens August 20th 2017 .
Challenge Entry Thread Closes August 26th 2017.
Survey for choosing the winning choices opens the 26th, no later than the 27th and closes 30th
Winners Announced August 30, 2017.

SMF Challenge General Rules
∑ To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
∑ Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
∑ The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
∑ Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
∑ Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date.

∑ After the closing date the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
∑ If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
∑ Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
∑ Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00 and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
galaxyMLP
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1300 Times on 774 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Old 08-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
toxikon

Liked 1079 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 504

1. toxikon - I literally just bought a gem-shaped silicone mold... must be fate!

Old 08-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
Soapprentice

Liked 310 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 132

1. toxikon - I literally just bought a gem-shaped silicone mold... must be fate!
2. Soapprentice - This is going to be my 1st MP soap and I'm excited!!!

Old 08-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
Kittish
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 715 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 364

3. Kittish - too bad my jade soap was a failure and has already been disposed of, it would have been great for this. Time to look over my rock collection for inspiration...

Old 08-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1138 Posts
Likes Given: 1745

3. Kittish - too bad my jade soap was a failure and has already been disposed of, it would have been great for this. Time to look over my rock collection for inspiration...
4. earlene - Lots of gem stones to look through once again, & thousands of photographs for inspiration.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
jewels621
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 404 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 446

4. earlene - Lots of gem stones to look through once again, & thousands of photographs for inspiration.
5. jewels621 - hmmmm.......I like this idea.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #8
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2101 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 2503

6. dibbles - rocks and gems...a lot of choices

Old 08-02-2017, 11:58 PM   #9
mx6inpenn

Liked 512 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 129

6. dibbles - rocks and gems...a lot of choices
7. Mx6inpenn - lots of ideas...can I make the vision though?

Old 08-03-2017, 12:04 AM   #10
Kittish
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 715 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Mx6inpenn- that is the question.

Is it kosher to talk about what you plan to try before the entry thread opens?