Max % of HO oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Due to the increasing price of OO, I'm looking into different kinds of HO oils to use in its place. I already know avocado is ok at the % I use but what about sunflower or safflower? I generally only use 20-25%, think this will be ok?

Tried a new recipe today, hopefully it will be a good one. I'm using dual lye.

lard 60%
HO Safflower 20%
coconut oil 15%
castor 5%

I'd like to try HO sunflower but I can't find it local.

I have a trial of 25% HO safflower curing. It's actually higher in oleic than olive oil. I suspect it will completely replace olive in all my soaps as soon as it's cured enough to evaluate.

I have been using HO sunflower at 25% to 30% in bath bars. I have used HO safflower in similar percentages. Both have worked well for me -- I'd recommend either one in a heartbeat. I've used olive a handful of times, and I'd say HO sun/saff bring roughly the same characteristics to soap, as compared with olive.

HO sunflower has the edge for me because a small amount of sunflower is grown locally, and safflower is not, as far as I know. So I feel by using HO sunflower that I'm doing a tiny bit to support midwestern farmers who grow alternative crops. I can find HO sunflower in local groceries, especially the "whole foods" co-op type stores.

I've made a 70% HO sunflower, 30% avocado soap for use when I wet-felt. It's plenty goopy and slimy, yet kind to the hands -- just what a wet felter wants!

I get my HO sunflower oil at Trader Joe's. The price is reasonable. It is pretty expensive in my grocery store - they only carry a brand in a fancy bottle.

What kind of a difference do you see between oo and sunflower?

I don't care for oo either but I really don't notice a difference when I replaced it with avocado.

Maybe I should make a 100% safflower batch so I can see for myself.

Back