Mighty Molds - Modular Loaf Silicone Soap Mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyG

Mold Meister
Reaction score
Our newest prototype is a triple cavity “Mini-Bread” loaf mold that allows you to pour one, two, or three loaves at a time! The loaf mold we have created is a true three-dimensional shape, with curved edges and corners. When unmolded, these loaves will look like real, traditional loaves of bread with the mushroom top (keep in mind you are seeing the bottom of the mold).

This mold is also completely modular, meaning it can be broken down into a single mold, or more pieces can be added until you are pouring three loaves at a time. Each cavity holds approximately two pounds of soap, and the completely open pour area still allows for swirling, inserts, piping, and any other customization you may want to apply to your soap.

We designed this mold to look like a miniature loaf of bread, but we can create just about any shape you can dream up. Below is an exploded view of the mold (and one put together). After experimenting, we've finally decided on a tongue-and-groove method to connect the mold pieces. We should have a video of it in use in a day or so. You can see more pics on our blog -- Mighty Molds

Loaf-Open-Group.jpg

Loaf-Triple-MM.jpg

So this is 100% Silicone? I am curious about how rigid the silicone is and if the weight of soap will cause any bowing. The walls look pretty thick, so perhaps bowing is less likely.

Have you tested the prototype with soap yet? KC's question is a good one. Do you need testers? Or do you already have testers?

Also what are the internal dimensions of the cavities? Finished log size is important to soapers.

I'm not liking the idea of the mushroom top at all. I'd rather have a traditional rectangular bar. Does the soap release easily? How much of a seam is there on the bottom?

Yea, I don't much care for the 'loaf of bread' shape either. But the modular mold idea is a neat one, are you planning to develop other shapes? And I'll chip in with the common question, too. Do you need testers?

Thanks for the comments... I'll try and answer some of the questions.

Testers: Yes, we want people to test them, unfortunately we can't get one to everyone who has asked though. We're trying to figure out a fair way to let someone from this community do some testing.

If it's allowed on this forum we're kicking around the idea of letting interested parties design a shape, and then have the community vote on which shape they like best. We'll then make a mold of that shape and ship it to the winner and let them do some testing.

100% Silicone?: Yes, these molds are 100% silicone. And as earlene pointed out, rigidity does play a role. We've pretty much got the process down to make the master mold, and now we're starting to play around with the Shore Hardness of the silicone mold itself. There are a ton of silicones to choose from, so it's just a matter of trial and error.

@earlene: we can make molds sized to your specifications (within reason).

Shape: The mini-loaf shape (and size) was just to demonstrate our system, but we can pretty much make any shape (again, within reason).

@Obsidian: the soap releases easily (we're trying to put a little unmolding video together so you all can see). Currently we're using some pretty crude models to make the molds (plastic), so they're not as smooth and clean as they will be when we begin making the real ones.

@Kittish @dixiedragon: yes.. we're planning on making many different shapes. Suggestions are always welcomed.

For those who were curious about how easily the soap releases, here's a video my son put together to demonstrate. I believe he just poured some M&P real quick for this one. Hoping to pour a batch of CP this weekend to see how that does.

https://www.facebook.com/mightymolds/videos/1814484155531863/

I know a shape a lot of people would like is a small (test batch size) tall & skinny mold. My perfect dimensions would be 2.5 wide x 3.5 tall x 5 or 6 inches long.

Another shape I'd love is an equilateral triangle. I'm with the others on the bread shape. I'd never buy one, but a straight sided rectangular loaf would be of interest.

Have you tried CP in these molds yet?

I know a shape a lot of people would like is a small (test batch size) tall & skinny mold. My perfect dimensions would be 2.5 wide x 3.5 tall x 5 or 6 inches long.

Another shape I'd love is an equilateral triangle. I'm with the others on the bread shape. I'd never buy one, but a straight sided rectangular loaf would be of interest.

Have you tried CP in these molds yet?

Heya dibbles!

Thanks for the feedback. We're going to try and pour a batch of CP this weekend.

The test batch size tall & skinny mold is doable for sure. And with our system you could pour singles, or multiples. And when you say equilateral triangle, are you talking like a flat triangle, or something along the lines of an equilateral pyramid shape?

JoeyG, thank you for posting the video. That really helped to see how the mold functions. The bread shape is interesting, and I suppose one could make some interesting sandwich soaps with slices of that soap, as gags for foodies.

But as for shapes I'd be interested in that I think would work really well with your design model would be 3-d shapes like cars or motor cyles or fire engines or construction type trucks; anything Boyish or even Man-like that would really put a sparkle in a boy's eye. There are already tons of molds for the girly-girl, but for boys they are few and far between. But not only single bar molds; I prefer multiple bar molds.

Also of interest to me would be a multiple bar mold somewhat like this one (it is a single bar mold). As I said, I prefer multiple bar molds. Single bar molds are fine for left-over batter, but not that useful when doing CP and wanting to make several bars of the same soap at the same time.

I would also be interested in small test batch sizes (500-750 grams of oil which results in a total batch size of somewhere between 750grams to 1100 grams depending on lye concentration (speaking of CP soap.) And the tall & skinny mold that dibbles mentioned would also be of interest.

M&P soaping is not that much of an interest for me, although I have done it and would do again with my grandchildren. So use for CP or HP is more of interest for me when it comes to molds. Silicon has the versatility to adapt to both CP & HP so hopefully that wouldn't be a problem. Also I would want them to be oven safe to at least about 250° F (maybe higher, as most usually are.) I don't go that high when I CPOP (cold process oven process), but to be on the safe side, it would be good for any mold to be able to handle spikes of temperature (sometimes oven overheat when first turned on so just to be on the safe side higher temperature safety would be beneficial.)

Heya dibbles!

Thanks for the feedback. We're going to try and pour a batch of CP this weekend.

The test batch size tall & skinny mold is doable for sure. And with our system you could pour singles, or multiples. And when you say equilateral triangle, are you talking like a flat triangle, or something along the lines of an equilateral pyramid shape?

Hi JoeyG, I am thinking of a pyramid shape loaf, which would be cut into bars. I probably should have mentioned that I, too, would only be interested in using this for CP. I used to do more with M&P, and if the urge ever strikes to use M&P again, I have plenty of molds for that.

JoeyG, thank you for posting the video. That really helped to see how the mold functions. The bread shape is interesting, and I suppose one could make some interesting sandwich soaps with slices of that soap, as gags for foodies.

earlene, thank you kindly for the very helpful and insightful reply.

One thing I want to mention because I think we've probably confused people a little. The "mini-loaf" shape itself was just an example to demonstrate the versatility of our mold system, not necessarily the focus of my original post. Looking back at the post though, I see now that I didn't do a very good job of making that distinction.

But as for shapes I'd be interested in that I think would work really well with your design model would be 3-d shapes like cars or motor cyles or fire engines or construction type trucks; anything Boyish or even Man-like that would really put a sparkle in a boy's eye. There are already tons of molds for the girly-girl, but for boys they are few and far between. But not only single bar molds; I prefer multiple bar molds.

earlene, you bring up a very good point about not much being out there for boys/men. We'll definitely put some thought into this.

When you mention 3D shapes you have absolutely touched on what we're trying to provide, which is a line of fully 3 Dimensional molds (not merely 3D on all sides EXCEPT for the pour opening, which generally ends up being flat and has to be shaped/planed/beveled, etc).

Also of interest to me would be a multiple bar mold somewhat like this one (it is a single bar mold). As I said, I prefer multiple bar molds. Single bar molds are fine for left-over batter, but not that useful when doing CP and wanting to make several bars of the same soap at the same time.

Our mold system is designed to do EXACTLY what you're asking for. Our bar soap molds consist of front/back end caps, and what we call a 'multiplier'.

Multipliers allow the user to incrementally double the number of items they're pouring. So say you have a mold that has 2 bars of soap side-by-side. To double the number of bars of soap, you would merely insert a multiplier between the two end caps. And you can continually add multipliers (up to however big your pour table is).

Currently we have the master made of the design my sister wanted, and are getting ready to pour the mold itself. It will allow her to pour 12 fully 3D bars of soap. And if everything works as it should, she shouldn't need to trim or bevel anything.

M&P soaping is not that much of an interest for me, although I have done it and would do again with my grandchildren. So use for CP or HP is more of interest for me when it comes to molds. Silicon has the versatility to adapt to both CP & HP so hopefully that wouldn't be a problem. Also I would want them to be oven safe to at least about 250° F (maybe higher, as most usually are.) I don't go that high when I CPOP (cold process oven process), but to be on the safe side, it would be good for any mold to be able to handle spikes of temperature (sometimes oven overheat when first turned on so just to be on the safe side higher temperature safety would be beneficial.)

Cold Process is our focus right now. We're getting ready to try and do some tests this weekend. As for temperatures, etc., we're working with our silicone supplier on most everything you mentioned.

As an aside, it's funny that you used that bar soap mold example. I hadn't seen that particular one, but I've got something similar I'm working on for my Home Grown Hemp Seed Oil Soap... lol. I had been making soap inserts for the leaf, but molding them is SO much easier. With our mold system, you could add another leaf to the other side, or text, or just about anything really.

I also would be interested in a tall and skinny mold. If you are also doing individual molds, how about a nice domed one like this that contains at least 6 cavities?

il_570xN.768820274_2ptj.jpg

Its one of my favorite shapes but I can't find it anywhere in silicone

I like the triangle idea, I'm envisioning a loaf that comes out looking like a prism that you cut into triangle bars. A gem silhouette would be neat too (though you could get that from the triangles, just by cutting two corners off at matching angles), the 'traditional' five-sided shape people associate with diamonds. And round! Column molds are the bane of lots of soapers, I'd kind of gathered. I've got a column mold. I'm scared to try using it after seeing and reading about trouble people have with them. How about a crescent shaped loaf that makes pretty little half moons when cut? Or half of the yin-yang symbol? (Make two different colored batches and package them together to make the whole symbol- that'd be an awesome way to do His and Hers soaps.).

Star
Butterfly
Lego minifigs (paint with mica after cutting into bars for facial features/clothes)
Vader's helmet (or....a more adult sort of theme, depending on how the soap is colored... just sayin... ) Or the full silhouette of Darth Vader, it's an easily recognizable form.
Soap rings! Bracelets, etc. Bathtime fun for kids. Soap wedding bands would also make a neat favor for weddings. Form the mold with the ring cylinder going from left side to right side so when you separate the halves, the part that makes the middle of the rings slides out of your cylinder.
Basic flower shapes- daisy, tulip, lily
An asymmetric 'splatter' sort of shape
Cat
Dog
Fish
Assorted leaf shapes
Birds- wings folded and wings open

All of my suggestions are for a loaf that presents the silhouette of the shape when the loaf is cut, not for fully 3-D shapes. Except the rings.

Last edited:
Hi JoeyG, I am thinking of a pyramid shape loaf, which would be cut into bars. I probably should have mentioned that I, too, would only be interested in using this for CP. I used to do more with M&P, and if the urge ever strikes to use M&P again, I have plenty of molds for that.

dibbles,

I want to explore this idea with you more.

And as far as M&P vs CP/HP. Our goal and hope is that our molds will work for all. We're still working with our silicone provider on several things, but CP is of uppermost importance to us. We know silicone linings exist and seem to work, so for us it's just a matter of finding the right silicone that will provide the best results.

As an aside, it's funny that you used that bar soap mold example. I hadn't seen that particular one, but I've got something similar I'm working on for my Home Grown Hemp Seed Oil Soap... lol. I had been making soap inserts for the leaf, but molding them is SO much easier. With our mold system, you could add another leaf to the other side, or text, or just about anything really.

That is exactly why I am looking at that particular soap mold. I am currently in process of designing a formula especially for my brother, who used to be a grower for medical marijuana. So I have been on the lookout for an appropriate mold to use to make this soap really fitting to the theme.

Thank you for your response. I really like the add-on (sort of like dovetail links) feature you have developed in your design. And I like the thickness as well because it helps with rigidity to maintain desired shape.

I also would be interested in a tall and skinny mold. If you are also doing individual molds, how about a nice domed one like this that contains at least 6 cavities?

il_570xN.768820274_2ptj.jpg

Its one of my favorite shapes but I can't find it anywhere in silicone

Obsidian,

Are you pouring these and then putting them together to form one bar?

I like the triangle idea, I'm envisioning a loaf that comes out looking like a prism that you cut into triangle bars. A gem silhouette would be neat too (though you could get that from the triangles, just by cutting two corners off at matching angles), the 'traditional' five-sided shape people associate with diamonds. And round! Column molds are the bane of lots of soapers, I'd kind of gathered. I've got a column mold. I'm scared to try using it after seeing and reading about trouble people have with them. How about a crescent shaped loaf that makes pretty little half moons when cut? Or half of the yin-yang symbol? (Make two different colored batches and package them together to make the whole symbol- that'd be an awesome way to do His and Hers soaps.).

Star
Butterfly
Lego minifigs (paint with mica after cutting into bars for facial features/clothes)
Vader's helmet (or....a more adult sort of theme, depending on how the soap is colored... just sayin... ) Or the full silhouette of Darth Vader, it's an easily recognizable form.
Soap rings! Bracelets, etc. Bathtime fun for kids. Soap wedding bands would also make a neat favor for weddings. Form the mold with the ring cylinder going from left side to right side so when you separate the halves, the part that makes the middle of the rings slides out of your cylinder.
Basic flower shapes- daisy, tulip, lily
An asymmetric 'splatter' sort of shape
Cat
Dog
Fish
Assorted leaf shapes
Birds- wings folded and wings open

All of my suggestions are for a loaf that presents the silhouette of the shape when the loaf is cut, not for fully 3-D shapes. Except the rings.

Wow Kittish,

You've got some great ideas there. We are definitely going to explore different loaf mold shapes. I believe most of the shapes/items you mentioned are doable. Undercut items that are on the delicate side have posed some problems, but we're working on that.

I love your 'soap rings & bracelets' ideas, btw.

Obsidian,

Are you pouring these and then putting them together to form one bar?

No, they are flat on one side and domed on the other. They fit the hand nicely and look good too. They are fairly deep, probably 1.5" in the middle.

I'll look to see if I have any bars left and get some measurements and pics.

No, they are flat on one side and domed on the other. They fit the hand nicely and look good too. They are fairly deep, probably 1.5" in the middle.

I'll look to see if I have any bars left and get some measurements and pics.

Obsidian,

I'm familiar with that mold. Before we started making our own molds, we actually purchased some silicone versions of yours that we used to create our sponge soap.

Soap2.jpg

I wasn't able to find them at the place where we bought ours, but I was able to track one down for you on Amazon.
Hope this helps... and let me know if you ever want a sturdier version.

Mold for Obsidian

If you search the term 'Easter Egg' silicone mold, you can probably find a few different versions.

Latest posts

Back