DOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So not when you mix in florals and get an orange ora in the soap around each dried blossom (lavender for ex)?
How long does it take curing for DOS to appear if its going to happen?

Dos can be caused by contact with metals as well as oils that may be close to their shelf life.
Rancid oils usually cause DOS.
Curing on a bare metal rack is begging for DOS to happen.
Copper likes to cause DOS too.

A high SF ( superfat) will encourage the formation of DOS.
Unsaponified oils will "go bad" in the soap and literally rot in the soap.

Confused yet?
Lots of different things CAN cause DOS. If it's DOS it stinks. BAD.

Steve

Wait, WHAT??
You're currently selling soap on Etsy, but don't know what DOS is?
I'm a little confused.

Reading the "about" in the Etsy shop, it looks like she's been making soap for 5 years now. Maybe she's one of those rare people who have never experienced it. Or maybe she has, but never heard the name for it.

What does HPCP stand for? I am not sure as I have not seen it before so I am confused by the term. I know HP is Hot Process and CP is Cold Process, but together it would be contradictory. So what do you mean by HPCP?

Is DOS limited to CP alone? No, you are just lucky or had all the right conditions to prevent it from happening.

You do know you can edit posts for a short while after you make them? You could fix your original post if you were so inclined -- that would be even better than three one-liners in about as many minutes.

Latest posts

Back