Entry thread- SMF July 2017 Challenge Mermaid Tail

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Entry thread for the July challenge. Please no discussion in this thread. Please post at least two pictures for your entry. At least one picture of the uncut loaf/slab, and at least one cut soap picture. You must have both pictures to be allowed to enter.

Feel free to add any other information to your post! Voting will begin on the 26/27th and will end on the 30th. Winners will be announced early the 31st.

Well, here goes! My entry is scented with Black Raspberry Vanilla from Peak. I decided to go monochromatic so colored only with Raspberry Red from Nurture in 4 shades. I also added a bit of glitter to the top because all mermaids have glittery scales, lol. This challenge was really fun Galaxy so thank you for hosting it!

Mermaid 01.jpg

Mermaid 02.jpg

Mermaid 03.jpg

Mermaid 04.jpg

Mermaid 05.jpg

I am entering my favorite soap, right now, although if I make something I like better on my next try, I'll enter it instead.

They are not perfect, but they are my favorites among the 3 I made, so here they are:

Cut bars after struggling with ash removal:
GLJa9G0.jpg

Before ash removal:

Qa4Klt5.jpg

Freshly made slab:
MiX2lyH.jpg

And my most recent photo showing my inspiration, Barbie the mermaid with the cut bars today. The spray of distilled water followed by spray of 91% alcohol did not remove damage it as long as I did not try to wipe any of it off. So I was pleased.

Mrk6luj.jpg

Last edited:
This was definitely a challenge for me. This is the soap I like the best of the tries I made despite the out of control ash and I dropped something (a spoon maybe) on the top.
There is so much room for improvement. I think my main issue is not waiting for a thick enough trace, and not learning to wait either!! This soap is scented with Citrus Shower from Fragrance Buddy (Avobath dupe) and the colors are Kombu Green, Four Leaf Clover (NS), and a mix of Green Vibrance (NS) and Lettuce (MM).

Mermaid  Tail Green.jpg

Mermaid Tail Challenge_0653.jpg

Such a challenge this was for me! Here's the one I was happiest with of all the tries I made. The base is a teal that I mixed up using titanium dioxide, kelly green, and bright blue in glycerin. The scales are Girly Pink, and Purple Lab Colors from BB that discolored from the vanilla in the Pink Sugar scent that I used. I'm glad this one is done!

68Cd6T9.jpg

QG5aWGn.jpg

KszQaXF.jpg

Literally just pulled of my gloves to take pics. As I was scrolling down to post I realized I forgot glitter, I can add that later. No cut pics because I poured two minutes ago.

Without further ado, my sunflower soap. It thickened much faster than my test batch and heated ridiculously. I also over mixed. After the adrenaline subsides I'll try to find a good representation of what the colors will morph to. The orange will be yellow and the yellowish base will hopefully be tan.

Edit: the last pic is what I hope the colors will morph to. I lost patience with trace on that batch and ended up just layering and making embeds with the rest (I also added glitter to my new loaf because I can ;p)

Second edit: cut pics! The yellow morphed but the fragrance hasn't even begun to discolor. I promise there's three colors! The green embeds were the leftover batter from my first non-thickening batch. There should be a few yellow ones but they're hiding in the center of some of the bars

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

Last edited:
This is the first step of my learning curve. I should practice before I'm running out of time. Mermaid scale was way harder than GalaxyMLP make it look like!

Color scheme on the mermaid tail top is gold, gray, pink. ( supposed to be,haha! )
I want it look like ombré when the sun hits her tail. But the gold color portion was too liquid and muddy up in the piping bag.
The base is royal blue under the mermaid scale.
Scented with Ocean breeze FO ( base ) & white Rose FO ( mermaid scale ). These two are tricky. Ocean FO pretty much RICED. And White rose did not accelerate like I expected. If it's thicker trace, the mermaid scale might look better.
Thanks for the challenge, GalaxyMLP! Definitely will try again. This will be a confetti soap, I guess.
At least it smells great. :p

The second picture was before the soap batter hit thick trace. No cutting picture here, too. It's still wet.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1501131479.428463.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1501131561.110961.jpg

Back