Second Batch - Sage & Peppermint

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alchemy_cake

Reaction score
A few slices from my second batch! I think I'm being too cautious with additives, because this was meant to be green. I added two teaspoons of French green clay to 500 g of oils, as the Soap Queen website recommended about 1 tsp per pound of soap. This is also the soap created during the Messy Mica fiasco!

It smells very nice. Bright, sweet Peppermint at first, but the earthy Clary Sage lingers afterwards. I do think I used a bit too much peppermint; this is not one destined for cleaning any delicate bits.

I've been enjoying practicing my photography staging. I hope you enjoy looking!

Soap8.jpg

Soap9.jpg

Cellador, thank you so much! Everyone here has been extremely helpful, I think that's why I haven't messed up too badly yet. The loaf for this batch turned out very nicely, which almost makes up for the ones I destroyed trying to remove them from a silicone chocolate mold! Needless to say, I did NOT take pictures of those ones - although maybe I should, and submit them to the 'soapy mistake' thread.

Thanks, CaraBou! It's my second batch of soap, and first time using the scent blend!

You got great pencil lines! Those are not as easy as they look ~ too thick and the soap breaks apart, too thin and it's hard to see them. I've had trouble with French Green clay too. I've learned not to expect too much in the way of color and just enjoy the feel in my hand soap. Great work all around! (in soap and photography:))

I think the soap is beautiful, as is the staging and photography! I can definitely see green. My notes for French green clay usage say to use 1.5-3 tsp/ppo, but I took those notes during my beginning soaping days and failed to notate where the advice came from (likely Lovin' Soap Studio, however, which I would consider to be a very reputable source). But I've also seen French green clay come in different shades (some more grey than others), so that might alter usage rates. Regardless, your end result is mighty fine-looking soap!

Latest posts

Back