Design Trial

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie
Reaction score
What's inside?

designtrial1.jpg

Recipe I used for the soap:

Coconut Oil 25% (actual 127g)
Olive Oil 40% (actual 200g)
Rice Bran Oil 15% (actual 76g)
Shea Butter 15% (actual 76g)
Castor Oil 5% (actual 24g)

Water 102.62g (actual 106g)
NaOH 68.41g (actual 68g)

I mixed at about 135 degrees F, and the soap moved along much more quickly than my green soap did (which was mixed at around 110). No color or scent, the only additive is a bit of cocoa powder to hopefully highlight the design.

That black powder is cocoa.

I probably should have waited til this afternoon to cut this, but I really wanted to see how it turned out.

Out of the mold, out of the liner:
designtrial2.jpg

designtrial3.jpg

designtrial4.jpg

I'm gonna say it worked, mostly anyhow. A bit of practice will smooth out the pattern. I think it's gonna look terrific in colors.

I don't know what it is, but photobucket keeps flipping my images around. Grr.

That's absolutely awesome! Totally gonna steal it :mrgreen:

As a technique, it requires patience. Took me half an hour to build that tiny little one pound loaf. Batter at med-thick trace, in a squeeze bottle. Start the pattern with a set of not quite touching round dots domed as high as the batter will let you at the bottom of the mold. Next layer of dots goes in between the previous layer, where the dots come together. Each layer is sprinkled very lightly with cocoa. Tap the mold to remove bubbles every couple of layers. It's supposed to come out looking like scales, pretty much no matter how the loaf is cut, which I think I got close enough to.

Reposting pics since photobucket ate them.

In the mold:
designtrial1-1521.jpg

The cut:
designtrial4-1518.jpg

Back