First multicoloured swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobbsie

Reaction score
I decided to give the mica samples and a long RUN I found in Staples a go this evening. I only managed to squeak it into the RUB but it looked quite pretty for my first attempt....note to self.....measure the volume of the container first.....

20170525_010610.jpg

20170525_010635.jpg

Ah no ..I lined the RUB with greaseproof paper and then put a sheet of cling film on the top which smoothed out as it heated up.

Looking at it now it looks so messy!! And it really just fit. I need to get some small moulds and perhaps not try to squeeze the lot in all at once next time :)

I used a mixture of sandalwood, lavender, patchouli and a smaller amount litsea cubea and a few drops of thyme (its so strong!). It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Quite excited to cut it and see how messy it is inside....the base should be whitish.

Those are some pretty swirls!

Why not just downsize your recipe?

Good idea...I'm still pretty much following recipes at the moment for the base soap but I noticed I could change the volume in the soap calc so will give that a go!. it was the strange little tubs that caught my eye though that made me want to try a long pour....I've been making flat slabs so far in nifty cardboard creations :)

Cut the soap.....but it was still a bit soft so a bit of colour dragged and it gave a little when pressed...hardened up now.

The titanium dioxide seems to have made a grainy pattern...looks okay ish... and are those clear lines the famous glycerin rivers? Very exciting!

Smells lovely though am glad I only put a few drops of the litsea cubea in...so lemony!

20170526_190459.jpg

20170526_190452.jpg

20170526_190511.jpg

Cut the soap.....but it was still a bit soft so a bit of colour dragged and it gave a little when pressed...hardened up now.

The titanium dioxide seems to have made a grainy pattern...looks okay ish... and are those clear lines the famous glycerin rivers? Very exciting!

Smells lovely though am glad I only put a few drops of the litsea cubea in...so lemony!

Yes, that is glycerin rivers. :) Very striking. Its also a sign of pure soap - with no fillers. :)

Yes, that is glycerin rivers. :) Very striking. Its also a sign of pure soap - with no fillers. :)

They look quite interesting!

I love each batch so far, each one has been a learning experience....this one id mix the micas a little better (there looks to be blobs of blue still), I'd pour at a more liquid trace to get those plops dropping further in and I'd cut later.

Definitely going to have to get a cutter...and mould and.....

So how do you get rivers on purpose? I like them too.

No idea.....it got very hot during the gel phase.....does TD encourage rivers? Or just the odd grainy look?

The soap is hardening beautifully and seems to be quite creamy in lather. The smell is also mellowing.....less of the sharp litsea cubea and more of the patchouli and sandalwood coming through.....a fine smell and a nice bit if soap. Pretty pleased all round for a first swirl!

So how do you get rivers on purpose? I like them too.

Here are some articles/blogposts about glycerine rivers:

Kevin Dunn talking about Clara Lindberg's technique and some experiements he did as well: http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/education/chemistry/chemistry-101-glycerin-rivers-soap.aspx

Auntie Clara's technique to produce glycerine rivers: https://auntieclaras.com/2014/05/glycerine-rivers-secret-revealed/

Modern Soapmaker (how to avoid crackling and glycerine rivers): https://auntieclaras.com/2014/05/glycerine-rivers-secret-revealed/

I've cut some small slices off and been testing them...they've made a lovely conditioning bar. Best thing I've found about the handmade soaps so far is needing far less hand cream after handwashing...great stuff!

Latest posts

Back