Favorite Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetbean

Reaction score
Drop your favorite oils below, please! (Bonus points if they're budget friendly!;)

I currently soap with Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, and Lard. I'd like to expand though. Thinking of adding Castor, Hempseed, and/or Avocado.

If you're located in the USA and live near a Trader Joe's, check out their HO sunflower oil. I buy a liter for $3.99. Also, Costco has avocado oil at a great price.

If you live near Dollar General (I think that's right dollar store) you can get an oz of cocoa butter for $1.50. That's more than you'll pay for bulk prices but if you just want to make a test batch to see what you think of it, that's the easiest place to get a small amount.

Walmart's pharmacy section has small bottles of castor oil in the laxative section. Not cheap as opposed to bulk but it's good to experiment with.

my favorite recipe is similar to the oils you use, but I do add 10% of avocado, sunflower, or rice bran oil to my batches.

My tip? if you have a Tuesday morning close and browse their food section, sometimes you can find really fancy oils half off price.

If you live near Dollar General (I think that's right dollar store) you can get an oz of cocoa butter for $1.50. That's more than you'll pay for bulk prices but if you just want to make a test batch to see what you think of it, that's the easiest place to get a small amount....

Unfortunately, I think they've stopped carrying the Queen Helene pure cocoa butter in the tube. Last two times I went to buy it, it had been replaced with something that was essentially a lotion bar with cocoa butter, mineral oil, and paraffin wax.

I've seen the Queen Helene 100% cocoa butter at Publix and at Fred's Discount Pharmacy. Check the hair section as well as the skin section. There's also another brand that's not Queen Helene but is 100% cocoa butter in a tube. It's a round cardboard tube, not an oval tube like deodorant.

I really like rice bran oil and HO sunflower. Price wise they are pretty good.

My soap is something like 15% olive, 10% Rice bran and 10% sunflower. I think they worth with olive to make a good bar and are cheaper than olive. I'm not sure where you might find smallish quantities of RB oil. Possibly an Asian supermarket?

Last edited:
Just placed an order for Avocado and Castor Oil... I can't wait to try them! I was already getting some FOs, so I figured I'd get 16oz of each to try it out.

This soaping addiction is so real!

I think you will be quite happy with your purchases of castor and avocado. I find them to be 2 of my "would-hate-to-ever-be-without" soaping oils.

IrishLass :)

Olive, Lard, Castor, Sweet Almond. Coconut, Shea Buttter are my favorites.
I really need to buy more Avocado too....I've been out of that for awhile now.

I use Coconut, Palm, PKO, Avocado, Sweet Almond, OO (rarely pomace grade) and Shea most often. I love rice bran oil, but it really does go rancid fairly quickly. While not exactly budget-friendly, my latest oil crush is on Babassu. It gives such a creamy lather in tandem with the others that I'm smitten!

Latest posts

Back